What chemicals for disinfecting regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fiziks

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
What products do you use for disinfecting regulators. One member of our team has suggested Sanizide. Has anyone used this or similar products? What other products might be suitable?

Dettol.....a bit in water and just soak the second stages

Dettol.....a bit in water and just soak the second stages
As told to me by my instructor on my basic training in 1978!...Still works fine...you can also soak your wetsuit with it too to clean it out.

What about a weak bleach solution followed by a rinse and air dry?

bleach works fine, but it can damage the diaphragms over time. We use a chlorine neutralizer after pool diving to get the bleach out of the gear. Still discolors and becomes brittle over time.

diluted moonshine also works well :)

Dettol users: What dilution strength do you use for wetsuits and/or for regulators? I bought a bottle recently, and the label indicates it's mainly intended for use as an antiseptic for wounds. I winged it by tossing a couple of capfuls into about five gallons of water. Anyone have a more authoritative recommendation for dilution strength?

I put a couple cap fills into a 10g bucket that we keep our rental regs in so you're in the ball park. It's similar to chlorine in that low dose disinfects with time and larger doses with less time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom