Lobster bag suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My old lobster bag is starting to fall apart - too many sharp lobster parts poking holes in the mesh over the years. I am looking at some of the new fangled bags that people are selling on the InterWeb, and wondered if anyone on SB has tried them out?

Option #1 - Lobster Hotel

This looked like a very clever idea to me, but some of the online reviews say that the hole is too small if you bag a big bug (which I can imagine would be, ahem, frustrating).

Lobsterhotel.jpg

Option #2 - One handed squeeze bag

This one also looked very clever - no mesh for the lobster to snag up in, plus if you can operate it with one hand, it must be easier to bag up. Two things worry me - firstly, does the spring mechanism go after a while? And second, if the lobster doesn't snag in mesh, presumably there is a chance that your first lobster might slip out when you are bagging your second lobster? Or worse, a lobster might be able to push its way out?

GB_GB67-2.jpg

Option #3 - Old faithful

I am figuring if you can't rely on new technology, stick with what you know?

lobbag3.jpg

Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with options 1 or 2 (or something completely different)?

Last edited:
I use the bag you mentioned as Option 1. Mine has a large enough trap door to insert BugZillla. However, my complaint about the bag is that it is heavy and has lots of drag underwater, tends to act as a sea anchor at times.

As funny girl indicates option#1 is the best selection for bug specific hunting days. If the lobster is too big for the main chute it can go in via the zipper opening.

I carry a smaller variant of option#2 when lobstering is not the central focus of the dive which folds up rather nicely...

Last edited:
As funny girl indicates option #1 is the best selection for bug specific hunting days. If the lobster is too big for the opening it can go in via the zipper.

I carry a variant of option#3 when lobstering in not the central focus of the dive and folds up rather nicely. Mine has a solid side of nylon which better protects against pissed-off bugs than that selection. I will inquire from my LDS were to acquire...

Funny Girl? Who you talking about? :shocked2:

I use #1, it seems to do the trick just fine for 99% of the bugs you see here.

We usually call 'em Lobzilla down here if they tip the scale sufficiently. This was the last one I got that might merit that title.

Lobzillaandfriend3.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom