You might be a scuba addict if...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you drive two hours to get to the dive site,only to get there and find the vis reports to be 3-4 inches... And you stay all day in the sun waiting for it to improve..
Then when the reports come in that Vis is up(to 8-9 inches),you seriously consider going in....Hmm I'm not addicted,its just a vice.

Just Another Florida Diver

P.S. The above story is all true,It is an acurate account of the waters at Venice,Florida for the Conch Divers' Fall Megadive 05...
whereas I can say I'm at least somewhat less addicted because 10-12 other divers went for it.

Brewone0to:
When you drive two hours to get to the dive site,only to get there and find the vis reports to be 3-4 inches... And you stay all day in the sun waiting for it to improve..
Then when the reports come in that Vis is up(to 8-9 inches),you seriously consider going in....Hmm I'm not addicted,its just a vice.

Just Another Florida Diver

P.S. The above story is all true,It is an acurate account of the waters at Venice,Florida for the Conch Divers' Fall Megadive 05...
whereas I can say I'm at least somewhat less addicted because 10-12 other divers went for it.

So what was the problem? Our vis is 3 - 6 inches daily... and we go diving everyday! You warm water divers are so spoiled!

ghostdiver1957:
So what was the problem? Our vis is 3 - 6 inches daily... and we go diving everyday! You warm water divers are so spoiled!
3-6 inches? I believe this is a case of slight underestimation. 3 inches of viz would mean that you could hold your hand almost touching your mask and barely be able to see it. It also means that if you wanted to see anything during the dive, it would have to be almost touching your mask.

3-6 inch vis is common in some places, I choose to dive elsewhere but ins not that uncomon.

coach_izzy:
  • The sound of compressed air hissing gets your attention, no matter where you are.

• The clanking of metal on metal is music to your ears.

• You will use ANY cheese excuse to head over the LDS.

• You will spend countless minutes browsing for accessories and other crap you don't really need.

• You agree there's no such thing as too much gear.

• You will iluminate the bedroom with your dive light.

• You've been busted putting your mask on in the shower.

• The smell of neoprene turns you on.

• The gear goes in the climate controlled closet. The clothes go to the attic.

• You've mastered the art of turning the shower into a rinsing station

• You know that Guanaja is not in Mexico.

• Your portable electronics are either water resistant, or in a water proof case.

• You get anxy for the next episode of "Deep Sea Detectives" and are buying the entire collection.

• You've read "Shadow Divers" at least 3 times.

• You agree that "Shark Week" sucks.

• When you get sick, the first question you ask your doctor is "When will I be able to go back to diving"

• Any medical procedure that you need done is preceeded by "How's this going to interfere with my diving?"

• Any body of water makes you ponder "I wonder what the visibility is down there, maybe I would need a light".

• You spent countless hour in this board :D

Ask my beloved wife, she can corrobarate any of the points :wink:
You are me!

teknitroxdiver:
3-6 inches? I believe this is a case of slight underestimation. 3 inches of viz would mean that you could hold your hand almost touching your mask and barely be able to see it. It also means that if you wanted to see anything during the dive, it would have to be almost touching your mask.

Been there, done that!

Lost of places like that. As mentioned shark teeth diving in the Cooper River. Also as an instructor in the keys, trying to squeeze in checkout dives just before hurricanes, and just after them, we frequently see really crappy vis. Just before Denis this sumemr I was doing a dive with my Master Diver Class, and the only way I could see my students was to put the glass of my mask up to the glass of their mask, then I could see their eyes!

Also frequetnly when doing checkout dives in silty areas, students will cause the vis to drop to zilch.

I am addicted??

I put on my wetsuit, fin, mask, boots in my bedroom.
I try my dive computer in the bathtub.
I saw deep blue sea like 10 times.
The Abyss is one of my favorite movies.
I keep looking at underwater pictures.

That's not very addicted right?? gotta try my wetsuit again.

Back
Top Bottom