Trim/Body position Practice Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I've travelled most of the US except the NW, but I've always wanted to see the Washington/Oregon area. I even have family there now after getting married last month. If I ever end up travelling that way I'll post and see if either of them are willing to meet up somewhere. Thanks for your help.

Now, back on topic... :wink: (I'd love to read more advice about improving trim.)

One thing I thought of while re-reading this thread is that it's great to have someone diving with you who can give you feedback as to whether you are actually horizontal or not. I have the posture down -- body flat, knees bent -- but I still tend to tilt about 20 degrees head up because that's what FEELS horizontal to me. Video tells the tale, but having someone in the water with you who can tell you AT THE TIME is even better.

Are you still a weight belt fan, Lynne?

Absolutely . . . but I have moved weight up onto the cambands to get better balance. The problem was, when I started working on this, being truly horizontal FELT head down to me and really awful. So I'd trim myself out to where I THOUGHT I was horizontal, only to see on video that I wasn't.

The big picture is not that we're trying to achieve 2X4-like trim, but rather stability in the water; we want to be able to pick when and where we'd like to hover at any given moment. With that in mind, weight distribution and trim all play important parts; then we use our various finning techniques to help maintain position. It's not about being frozen in a block of ice; it's about constantly tuning while we dive. Like keeping a bicycle upright in traffic :)

Weighting plays a huge role. Having your weight in the right location will prevent you from feeling to head heavy or foot heavy. If you maintain trim (head up and knees up), then you'll be in the proper position to assess your weighting; keep in mind that dropping your knees or head will cause a diver to go into a knees down position, regardless of weight distribution. So keep in good trim when you're attempting to assess your own weighting.

Now assess your weight distribution: if you feel like you're going foot up, head down, you need to move weight back (a common feeling for divers in heavy steel doubles, i.e. E8-130's :)). If you feel that your feet drop, no matter how much you keep your feet up, you need to move weight forward. Because everyone's body is so different, there is no one solution, and this is where experienced instruction is important. The more you see people bouncing around, the more you learn how to help them, and I've seen a lot of people bouncing around :).

Note: For the coldwater divers, you don't want a shrink wrapped drysuit as you do this either; you need to maintain a volume of air in the suit such that it's not dumping out of a fully open valve, but not empty. Empty suits reduce comfort, and also make your feet very negative, contributing to foot down trim. You need some gas in there.

Once you're comfortable with your trim, get used to kicking. There are no points for not moving :). In the ocean, there is current, surge, and other water movement. I often find that during ascent, I have to constantly do little backwards kicks to keep myself from running into my team. While working on the bottom, surge kicks us around, so we're constantly having to reposition. If the guys in the DVD weren't finning, they would drift off the frame, which, while funny, wouldn't amount to much of an instructional video. I agree that extraneous movement is inefficient and wasteful, but if it keeps you in positiion, with your eyes on your team, and with little impact on the environment, then it's working. What I always recommend to my students in Essentials and Fundamentals is to pick something on the bottom that's more or less stationary (an anemone, a sea cucumber), and try and watch it for a while(1,2,3 minutes). If you can observe it without disturbing it or the environment around it (no kneeling :)) then you're well on your way towards a new "happy place".

Joe Talavera

Great post, Joe, and thanks for contributing!

Thanks to everyone that has replied to this post. You guys are a wealth of information! Wish I was a little closer to a DIR-F instructor. You know a picture is worth 1,000 words. Well I think having an instructor like Joe critique and correct in an instructional setting is worth 1,000 hours of trying to figure it out on your own. Maybe I will have to make a trip to California this summer.

NWGratefulDiver:
To really know if your trim and body position are right, you need to quit twitching your fin tips and see what happens. If nothing happens, you're getting there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree with this 100%. And as TSandM said, weight placement and amount is probably most important in achieving this.

dirthead:
Hey that's a great idea. I do have my own pool, so I will give that a try.

We use a plexiglass mirror, it works great in the water and has no real glass in it. It is just a big piece of plexiglass with a reflective backing. They have them as some glass/mirror supply stores. Works great and they even let us use it in the public pool. You can hang it on the side of the pool with a small weight or two attached to the bottom to keep it in position.
HTH

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom