Trim/Body position Practice Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my suggestion is to get in a bit of 'floor diving' (though we usually actually do it on picnic tables!). try to assume the position while watching tv for a few minutes - knees off the floor & bent at about 90 degrees, feet cocked, head way up, clasped arms out in front. balance on your upper tummy & lower chest.

(i just saw the 5thdx video tonight - way cool, by the way! i'm still going up and back with my back kick. once i get that licked, though, i'm gonna be dangerous!)

Hank49:
I agree with this 100%. And as TSandM said, weight placement and amount is probably most important in achieving this.
I'll add that tank placement can be a factor as well. If you tank rides too high, you may lawn dart - too low and your knees will drop.

BabyDuck:
(i just saw the 5thdx video tonight - way cool, by the way! i'm still going up and back with my back kick. once i get that licked, though, i'm gonna be dangerous!)
Make sure your head "back" ... as in face forward ... when you are back-kicking. This will help keep you 'in trim' and at the same depth when backing up.

I tend to look "down" when I back kick, which makes me lose depth. This is actually something I have learned to use to my advantage when I want to start decreasing my depth :D

I don't LOSE depth with the back kick -- I'm like BabyDuck, I go back and UP. Still sorting that out.

Snowbear:
I tend to look "down" when I back kick, which makes me lose depth. This is actually something I have learned to use to my advantage when I want to start decreasing my depth :D
I started to pretend I was the video guy to keep my head up. (hands in front...head up) It worked for me.

BabyDuck:
Dumb thing is...if you "need" to do it..you won't. If you don't think about it...its easier.

yea, babyduck, Tom Winters just mailed me that. It is great!

TSandM:
Absolutely . . . but I have moved weight up onto the cambands to get better balance. The problem was, when I started working on this, being truly horizontal FELT head down to me and really awful. So I'd trim myself out to where I THOUGHT I was horizontal, only to see on video that I wasn't.

I encountered the opposite situation. I've read how people think they're head down when they're actually horizontal and was expecting the same. I was quite surprised to find out that I was in a head down position while feeling horizontal. After I heard that and made some adjustments I felt way more comfortable and natural. A video camera or mirror would be a huge help - I wouldn't have to pick my buddies brain for every minute details after the dive. The instant feedback provided by a mirror sounds invaluable.

Ooops, Snowbear -- I thing of "losing depth" as sinking. I'll have to try really making sure my head is up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom