Trim/Body position Practice Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had problems keeping trim also in the begining.. I found I was thinking to much about it.. Once I got out of the pool and put it into "real world" practices. I found that I was in perfect trim and not thinking about it at all. i think overthinking is a big problem, and really what else is there to think about in a pool?? I had the same problem with my backwards kick, but I can still remember the time I was looking at a lobster and realized the surge was not throwing me anywhere and I was in perfect trim, with no hand movement.. It all comes with time.. Practice, Practice, Practice...

cbsaw, that is SO true. I have the same thing with helicopter turns. If I just DO them, they're fine; if I think about it, they get all backwards. Some part of my brain clearly knows how to do it but doesn't want any input from the front office :)

TSandM:
cbsaw, that is SO true. I have the same thing with helicopter turns. If I just DO them, they're fine; if I think about it, they get all backwards. Some part of my brain clearly knows how to do it but doesn't want any input from the front office :)

So true... I had more problems with the backward kick.. but like I mentioned above, one day I just realized I was doing it, and truly shocked myself. now it all comes natural.. My wife is fighting the exact same thing right now, with both trim, and hellicopter kicks. We just came back from the Keys, and she suprised herself one day and was all excited when we returned to the boat, the she was doing her helicopter kicks and not even thinking about it.. I think we all overthink the whole process at the begining, untill it becomes natural..

While practicing in the pool one day, I brought my camera that also does video.. Since we (my wife and I) weren't in a "class" the trim / propulsion seemed to be easier that day. Also, I noticed while I was filming (stayed in shallow end, center and rotated with helicopter turns) while my wife did her lap, I was concentrating so much on filming and keeping the camera on center, that I did the turns pretty well..

We were over thinking the skills also... so easy to do.

Ben_ca:
Everything seems to work great right until the point in Fundies when they turn on the video cam.... :p

Turn on the video cam...... Tell you to take off your mask...... Then throw an OOA situation at you..... That is the real test..:D I have seen alot of people stay in trim.... but they find themselfs on the surface before they know what hits them..

I plan to be practicing these skills in the quarry this summer. Thanks for all the tips!

One question though, about...

NWGratefulDiver:
That was my only beef with the Essentials video ... these guys were constantly finning to hold position (surprising, considering who's featured in the video). I couldn't help making mental comparisons to Uncle Pug who, when I was learning the techniques, would always swim behind me and hold my fin tips to make me practice holding my trim while not finning.

...where do I sign up to dive w/ Uncle Pug? :D

I've read so many stories that I'd love to dive with him, but honestly, at this point I'm such a newbie I need more practice before wasting his (or anyone else's) time. Eventually I'd love to find a mentor that can smooth out the rough edges of my self-taught "skills", though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom