Is another problem with DAN brewing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver:
Doesn't this seem kind of backward? You're letting your dive insurer determine where you're going to dive? Huh?

No, he's letting the local dive industry, which apparently includes a chamber operator who doesn't mind engaging in sleazy business tactics, determine where he won't spend his money. Seems reasonable to me.

H2Andy:
bummer... well.... i'll be sure to avoid their deco chambers

That's great when you're awake and coherent. Now what happens if the rescuer takes your unconscious body to a non-covered chamber?

detroit diver:
That's great when you're awake and coherent. Now what happens if the rescuer takes your unconscious body to a non-covered chamber?

well... what i meant was...

that i will not be planning trips to those locations. it's their loss, in diving dollars,
if you ask me. tons of other places to go to that don't play these games.

if enough divers say goodbye to those locations because they can't provide
credible hyperbaric treatment, you'd see a change real fast

pete340:
No, he's letting the local dive industry, which apparently includes a chamber operator who doesn't mind engaging in sleazy business tactics, determine where he won't spend his money. Seems reasonable to me.

Think about what you just wrote. The local dive industry will suffer because a chamber op has a disagreement with an insurer. More than that, the diver will avoid some spectacular diving because his/her insurance company won't cover him/her. I think there are some priorities mixed up here. You can spend your money anyway that you want, but if your intent is to punish the chamber (as the previous post seemed to intend), this doesn't seem like a reasonable way to do that. You're punishing the local dive op, the hotels, the restaurants, the taxis-just about everyone but the chamber!

I don't know who is in the wrong here (because I don't have inside information), and my guess is neither do you. But what I do know is that I bought my dive insurance with the implicit understanding that I would be covered anywhere-and in the most efficient manner-, as has been the practice of that insurer. Until DAN made the statement that they did on their website (which covered anyone, anywhere), what I bought was not what I would potentially receive. I think people felt much more comfortable after they "clarified" their position, but they need to do that again and add ALL chambers to their position, IMHO.

hey, DD... i have good insurance. if someone doesn't take my insurance, i don't
go there. period.

why should dive insurance be any different?

dudes don't want to take my insurance? if i take a hit there might be some
red tape involved while i wait?

nooooooo thank you

see above, and

There aren't enough people that read these boards that know that this situation is taking place to make a difference. We tend to be a very informed crowd, but I would contend that we are not a very large part of the diving scene as a whole.

H2Andy:
well... what i meant was...

that i will not be planning trips to those locations. it's their loss, in diving dollars,
if you ask me. tons of other places to go to that don't play these games.

if enough divers say goodbye to those locations because they can't provide
credible hyperbaric treatment, you'd see a change real fast

If you've paid for your insurance and they no longer cover you, what have you paid for?

H2Andy:
hey, DD... i have good insurance. if someone doesn't take my insurance, i don't
go there. period.

why should dive insurance be any different?

dudes don't want to take my insurance? if i take a hit there might be some
red tape involved while i wait?

nooooooo thank you

detroit diver:
If you've paid for your insurance and they no longer cover you, what have you paid for?

but they do cover me... it's just 10 chambers who dont' want to accept
my insurance.

we're losing perspective here. THE WHOLE WORLD will take my DAN insurance,
except for these 10 chambers.... sounds like i'm covered to me.
also, sounds like the problem is not with DAN but with these 10 chambers.

if these chambers want to be weenies and not take my insurance, hey,
i won't go diving near there

that's their problem, not mine

detroit diver:
. The local dive industry will suffer because a chamber op has a disagreement with an insurer. More than that, the diver will avoid some spectacular diving because his/her insurance company won't cover him/her. I think there are some priorities mixed up here. You can spend your money anyway that you want, but if your intent is to punish the chamber (as the previous post seemed to intend), this doesn't seem like a reasonable way to do that. You're punishing the local dive op, the hotels, the restaurants, the taxis-just about everyone but the chamber!

First i wont miss spectacular diving in not going to one of the ten locations there are hundreds of areas to dive that you can see the same things, for the same money i would spend to go to one of the ten areas.

Second as far as "punishing" the whole area thats not my problem. If a great deal of people quit going to these areas they may wake up and help to reslove the problem because the whole area is going to lose out on divers money. If all the local businesses put pressure on the chamber owner it might change. If not their are plenty of other places to dive and not have to worry about the issue.

Back
Top Bottom