Is another problem with DAN brewing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R

redacted

I'm copying this from another board. Original source is unclear. Anybody have any info. I'm about to trash my DAN renewal notice - only have a couple weeks to decide>

"For Immediate Release

EFFECTIVE MARCH 9, 2006, AND UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, DAN America dive insurance is no longer accepted for payment at hyperbaric chambers in following dive destinations:

Bahamas
Baja California
Belize
Cancun
Cozumel
Galapagos
Phuket, Thailand
Playa del Carmen
Samui, Thailand
Yucatan, Mexico

All divers carrying DAN America dive insurance and diving in these locations should be prepared to pay out-of-pocket for any medical service rendered, because these chambers will not accept DAN America's insurance or DAN America's credit card as a method of payment. Hyperbaric chambers in other locations are currently considering joining this group and not accepting DAN America insurance.

This consortium of chambers has been forced to sue DAN America in federal court in the United States due to unpaid medical claims, some dating as far back as 2004. The financial burden of not being paid has forced several chambers in remote locations to consider closing down. In order to remain open, these chambers can no longer treat DAN America patients and not be paid.

Of note, while DAN America is a non-profit research organization based in the US, its insurance product is underwritten/re-insured by a for-profit organization that is wholly-owned by DAN America called Accident & General Insurance Ltd., based in the Cayman Islands. DAN America has claimed a rate dispute as the reason for non-payment, saying that the rates are above what DAN America considers reasonable and customary in the locality. However, major medical insurers (including Blue Cross Blue Shield, Humana, Prudential and Kaiser Permanente), DAN Europe, DAN Southern Africa, DAN SEAP as well as all other dive insurers have accepted these same rates as appropriate and paid their bills.

This action only applies to DAN America insurance and not any other insurance coverage including DAN Europe, DAN Southern Africa, DAN Japan or DAN SEAP.

For further information regarding DAN America's for-profit subsidiaries, please see the last 5 pages of their latest IRS tax filing here:
http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2004/561/696/2004-561696689-1-9.pdf

For further information regarding DAN America's performance as a non-profit organization, please see the report from Charity Navigator, an independent evaluator of non-profits, who gives DAN America an overall rating of one out of four stars:
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/search.summary/orgid/6487.htm

For further information, please contact communications@sssnetwork.com"

any one know of another diver freindly insurance carrier. Cant be a 100 dollars a year through dn for the max coverage and membership though if they are not doing there job and my life is at risk casue I use them then I am pissed.

I am up to renew my DAN insurance maybe i am going to wait and see how this plays out, but we start diving in a couple months here. Been watching to see if anything gets resloved from the first of this happening and dan has said they will pay.

Sounds like the same guy that put the other release out that was the hot topic over the last couple of months. Have you contacted DAN and asked them about it? That would be the prudent action instead of a bunch of second guessing. Let us know what you find out.
Ber :lilbunny:

This is an ongoing dispute that has been going on since January. This guy that runs the referenced chambers is overcharging -reasonable and customary- and DAN is challenging that. However, DAN America insured divers are still covered. If you go on the DAN Website (www.diversalertnetwork.org) you can get all the information and look at all the press releases. This is nothing new, and all divers remain covered. If there are any additional charges at any of these facilities, it is because of the greed of the guy that runs the chambers taking advantage of injured divers. However, even in that case, DAN apparently will work with the insurers to make sure an injured diver --is not caught in the middle-- of the dispute.

Some releases (there are more):

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=723

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=709

As usual, there is more to the story than meets the initial eye. Stay cool and keep on diving! Remember, if you are a safe diver, you do not need to worry about issues like this!!!!

CN

cowboyneal:
This is an ongoing dispute that has been going on since January. This guy that runs the referenced chambers is overcharging \'reasonable and customary\' and DAN is challenging that. However, DAN America insured divers are still covered. If you go on the DAN Website (www.diversalertnetwork.org) you can get all the information and look at all the press releases. This is nothing new, and all divers remain covered. If there are any \'additional\' charges at any of these facilities, it is because of the greed of the guy that runs the chambers taking advantage of injured divers. However, even in that case, DAN apparently will work with the insurers to make sure an injured diver \'is not caught in the middle\' of the dispute.

Some releases (there are more):

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=723

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=709

As usual, there is more to the story than meets the initial eye. Stay cool and keep on diving! Remember, if you are a safe diver, you do not need to worry about issues like this!!!!

CN

I could care less of the reasons. If I happen to take a hit in those areas and need a chamber thier petty politics will put me at danger.

Are you saying I should not be concerned because its political?

if you are a safe diver, you do not need to worry about issues like this!!!!

Ya, only unfit sloppy divers take hits right?

I hate to disagree but diving places you at risk and part of mitigating that risk is owning an insurance policy that will cover unexpected hits. I want to know my insurance will have the ability to protect me and keep the SILLY politics in the background.

Man ...that's a bummer. Headed to Belize with the wife tomorrow. Guess we'd better be REALLY careful !!

...and to think, we just renewed our DAN insurance in January !!

'Slogger

Back
Top Bottom