Is another problem with DAN brewing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is exactly the same issue that is being covered by the thread on "DAN gets attacked by commercial spammer" that is for some reason a sticky here. So it is not news, just old trash with a new date.

In my experience when you see articles like that that are missing the source and other specific information that would normally accompany a real news article, they are usally junk. This is clearly a personal thing where one enity is attacking DAN because they are having a dispute with DAN. From what I read it was over DAN getting charged substantially more than what is normal and reasonable for the area.

Having read the information I see no reason to not keep DAN. I have had occasion to use DAN and they performed beautifuly and paid everything. Mind you it was not one of the chambers in question.

Geeez, this is all disconcerting. I *just* got DAN insurance.

Are the other insurance companies "better"? Which ones would be the best?

DAN would be IMHO the best. Again, this is a non-issue.

First, I do not engage in cross-talk, because it is counter-productive to positive discussion. My post was intended to convey information and the underlying facts, not to put a value judgment on those facts, since one really could not do that not being in possession of anything other than skewed media or biased information from any source on the issue. Also, I was just about to say that compared to the people in the forum on cyber-diver, we are all very calm and non-judgmental here. I stand somewhat corrected - Dude, dont stroke out!

CN

I am keeping mine until I see something more definitive. Worth watching though.

If you are going someplace particular, then contact the nearest chamber and ask them directly, call DAN and ask them directly about that chamber. If you get two "yes" answers, I would consider that definitive.

CDNN is definitely not an unbiased source of info either.

Willie

LavaSurfer:
I could care less of the reasons. If I happen to take a hit in those areas and need a chamber thier petty politics will put me at danger.

I don't want to come off as Anti DAN as I think they have a good thing going for us as divers. My concern is that if SSS is indeed refusing to accept DAN insurance, WE ALL have a problem.

As stated by pasley, "This is a non-issue" only if you don't need a chamber that is serviced by SSS. But what if you are in an area of service refusal?. DAN will transport you to a chamber they are accepted at? Fine if it’s local but the pits if you are 300 miles away and you are BENT and in pain or worse!

I think it's certainly something to keep an eye on if you dive in areas where SSS manages the chambers. I for one will call ahead and find out if the chamber in my target destination accepts DAN and if not, decide whether the risk is acceptable.

Maybe double insurance would be a good idea. Heck, it’s not like it’s all that expensive. My yearly services costs come to more than my insurance costs.

DAN is defending themselves well in the news releases but then, wouldn't you if you were in thier shoes?

I appreciate all the replys. The linked DAN news releases for January 06 seem to make the point the 9 of the SSS still support DAN. But my posting with an unclear source and Lavasurfers provided link seem to suggest that some (looks like all) of those other 9 SSS facilities no longer support DAN.

If I had recently renewed my DAN USA coverage, I'd probably keep what I had and watch where this goes. But with my policy running out at the end of April, I think I'll be looking elsewhere unless there is a rather quick and positive resolution. Thankfully, I don't need to take the chance.

Awap's release is old news.

it's not new

it was addressed by DAN already. almost all the chambers will still support
DAN

for those that don't, DAN will still cover you.

read DAN's response. they will still cover you, even if the chamber doesn't.

i'm not sure why some people want to re-hash old news and scare
the rest of us over and over again.

old news. DAN will cover you. read DAN's response for yourself:

"If a DAN member were to be referred to one of the three (3) facilities that have stated they do not support DAN and will not accept insurance purchased with DAN membership (the SSS chambers in Nassau, Cabo San Lucas or Cancun), DAN will nevertheless work to assure that the DAN members are covered.

"Although DAN maintains that the charges at these three facilities are in excess of reasonable and customary charges, divers should not be caught in the middle of this dispute.

"To ensure that the divers are not caught in the middle, effective immediately, DAN's insurer will coordinate with the SSS chambers in Nassau, Cabo San Lucas or Cancun to cover all treatment charges."

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=723

Let me offer this...

(1) If I am injured, I want my medical expenses paid by my insurance carrier, sure; however

(2) I also want to be treated by a reputable facility, one that is willing to work with DAN dive docs as well as DAN insurance. I suspect the ones in question are not the most reputable in other areas as well.

But no problem, the bills will be paid. Brought from other threads....

From the Cozumel forum...
Christi:
This topic has come up several times in the last few months. This just applies to the chamber on Calle 5. Dr. Piccolo at the Clinica San Miguel on Calle 6 Nte. between Av. 5 and Av. 10 accepts DAN. In fact I just spoke to them about this last week.

And from this forum...
From: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=723
News & Events
DAN Addresses Concerns About Dive Insurance

On Tuesday, Jan. 31, DAN issued the following statement, addressing concerns among members about insurance coverage:

"DAN strongly emphasizes that we support our members. In the unlikely event of a diving injury, be assured that if any DAN member were to be referred to a chamber, their DAN diving accident insurance and membership will apply.

"If the chamber is one of the nine (9) facilities referred to in the press release from SSS Corporate Headquarters, SSS has stated, categorically, they DO accept the DAN diving accident insurance.

"If a DAN member were to be referred to one of the three (3) facilities that have stated they do not support DAN and will not accept insurance purchased with DAN membership (the SSS chambers in Nassau, Cabo San Lucas or Cancun), DAN will nevertheless work to assure that the DAN members are covered.

"Although DAN maintains that the charges at these three facilities are in excess of reasonable and customary charges, divers should not be caught in the middle of this dispute.

"To ensure that the divers are not caught in the middle, effective immediately, DAN's insurer will coordinate with the SSS chambers in Nassau, Cabo San Lucas or Cancun to cover all treatment charges.

"When the injured DAN Member or their representative contacts DAN using the 24-Hour Diving Emergency Hotline, DAN will liaise with the chamber to arrange immediate payment. DAN will continue to do so until there has been a resolution to this dispute. Rest assured, DAN continues to seek an amicable resolution."

If you'd like more information (for example, to see the names of the nine pro-DAN SSS facilities see the announcement entitled "DAN Responds to SSS Press Release," in the News & Events section of the website or go to http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=709.

If you have questions about chamber availability, please call DAN Headquarters at 1-800-446-2671 and speak to a DAN medic; or email DAN at medic@DiversAlertNetwork.org.

H2Andy:
Awap's release is old news.

it's not new

it was addressed by DAN already. almost all the chambers will still support
DAN

for those that don't, DAN will still cover you.
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=723

H2Andy

It is old news but it keeps reserfacing. In my area DC there are LDS now warning people about this issue. I think the fact that it keeps coming up is a reason for concern. Not Panic but concern.

I think it prudent to at least check in the area I travel to ensure my coverage.

As DAN Stated, and I think this is important

When the injured DAN Member or their representative contacts DAN using the 24-Hour Diving Emergency Hotline, DAN will liaise with the chamber to arrange immediate payment

Divers need to make sure that if an incident happens, they call DAN and don't just show up at a chamber. Otherwise they may find a huge bill to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom