Is another problem with DAN brewing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wet-willie:
I am keeping mine until I see something more definitive. Worth watching though.

If you are going someplace particular, then contact the nearest chamber and ask them directly, call DAN and ask them directly about that chamber. If you get two "yes" answers, I would consider that definitive.

CDNN is definitely not an unbiased source of info either.

Willie

Whats wrong with this

DAN, which provoked the dispute by repeatedly harassing SSS over fair market pricing of hyperbaric chamber fees, has been widely criticized within the scuba diving industry for ignoring its stated diver safety mission, spinning off commerical offshore tax evasion schemes and colluding with ousted CEO Peter Bennett to cover up alleged financial improprieties.

Provoked, Harassing. So you say if you think your being gauged and dispute it you are provoking and harassing. I think CDNN is defiantly biased in this case.

LavaSurfer:
It is old news but it keeps reserfacing. In my area DC there are LDS now warning people about this issue. I think the fact that it keeps coming up is a reason for concern. Not Panic but concern.

sure, of course. find out which chambers are at issue (DAN lets you know) and
if you're in that area and have an incident, call DAN ahead of time or from
the facility so they can arrange for payment.

end of story.

but this hue and cry (oh, new problem is brewing for DAN!) is totally misleading.
this is the same problem from January, which has already been addressed by DAN

cdiver2:
Provoked, Harassing. So you say if you think your being gauged and dispute it you are
provoking and harassing. I think CDNN is defiantly biased in this case.

CDNN is many things, but unbiased ain't one of them. eyebrow

just say PADI or DAN, and they go berzerk

oh, also, shark feedings. they hate those.

H2Andy:
Awap's release is old news.

it's not new

it was addressed by DAN already. almost all the chambers will still support
DAN

for those that don't, DAN will still cover you.

read DAN's response. they will still cover you, even if the chamber doesn't.

i'm not sure why some people want to re-hash old news and scare
the rest of us over and over again.

old news. DAN will cover you. read DAN's response for yourself:

"If a DAN member were to be referred to one of the three (3) facilities that have stated they do not support DAN and will not accept insurance purchased with DAN membership (the SSS chambers in Nassau, Cabo San Lucas or Cancun), DAN will nevertheless work to assure that the DAN members are covered.

"Although DAN maintains that the charges at these three facilities are in excess of reasonable and customary charges, divers should not be caught in the middle of this dispute.

"To ensure that the divers are not caught in the middle, effective immediately, DAN's insurer will coordinate with the SSS chambers in Nassau, Cabo San Lucas or Cancun to cover all treatment charges."

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=723

I did the search before I posted and don't believe what I posted was "old news" Old new which is quoted and linked refers to 3 SSS facilities that were not supporting DAN and 9 SSS facilities that continured (in January 06) to support DAN. It now appears that many of those 9 SSS facilities have withdrawn their support. I'm not sure why some people see this as SOS (same old stuff). I see this, if true, as a big step in the wrong direction that happened to surface as my renewal notice is getting to the top of my to-do list. Sure, it may well just be part of some underhanded corparate maneuvers to improve its position. I don't think I'm going to take that risk.

LavaSurfer:
H2Andy

It is old news but it keeps reserfacing. In my area DC there are LDS now warning people about this issue. I think the fact that it keeps coming up is a reason for concern. Not Panic but concern.
You believe everything you hear at a LDS...?
I think it prudent to at least check in the area I travel to ensure my coverage.

As DAN Stated, and I think this is important

When the injured DAN Member or their representative contacts DAN using the 24-Hour Diving Emergency Hotline, DAN will liaise with the chamber to arrange immediate payment

Divers need to make sure that if an incident happens, they call DAN and don't just show up at a chamber. Otherwise they may find a huge bill to deal with.
Also the best way to ensure that you receive the best treatment - and not just tapped for a DAN check. :thumb:

awap:
It now appears that many of those 9 SSS facilities have withdrawn there support.

from an unknown source?

look, i don't disagree with you that we need to keep an eye on this, i'm just
saying, you can't believe every piece of news that floats around in the
internet, especially without a source. well... maybe you can... NOT :wink:

anybody have a reliable source for this?

DandyDon:
You believe everything you hear at a LDS...?

Of course not.

But they are helping to stir the pot and its going to be a marketing problem for DAN if they cannot get a grip on this. LDS's sell, or at least push, DAN insurance and if they start passing around negitive propaganda and passing on emails that talk about this issue then where will it lead. The LDS I am refering to is not trivial as they are one of the Larger in the area.

Scooter

H2Andy:
anybody have a reliable source for this?

That's what I'm looking for. Although the CDNN article appeared to be somewhat biased (what understatement?) at least it gave a little credibility to the posting I copied. I copied my original posting from Karl who I believe tends to put some very interesting spins on basic facts but I would not categorize him as a liar.

I'd like to sit and wait for all the facts to come out also, but I have a bill sitting on my desk that is due next month. I'd like to see another release from DAN just to get their side of the story again.

LavaSurfer:
The problem with asking DAN is that its not a un-biased opinion.

Unlike that totally objective press release. Unfortunately, that sleazy tactic is doing just what it's supposed to do: scare people off with innuendo.

What is interesting to me is that we don't seem to have an unbiased source for information. It would be nice if someone with really good investigative skills could do an objective analysis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom