Is another problem with DAN brewing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
well... no... the question now is "Is there any truth to this rumour?"

How will we know the truth?.
If there are other facilities in the area that accept DAN and they charge the same as or less than SSS then we would know the truth. Is it that hard to figure out?.

H2Andy:
CDNN is many things, but unbiased ain't one of them. eyebrow

just say PADI or DAN, and they go berzerk

oh, also, shark feedings. they hate those.

Let's not forget those roving organized crime gangs of graverobbing wreck divers headed up by the notorious Sheard and Bishop. CDNN would apparently have you believe that not a pice of frayed rope washes up on a beach without those guys cut it loose from a pristine and historically important archaeological site. Note here how their (worst possible) pictures are prominently displayed even though they have nothing to do with the article in question. http://www.cdnn.info/news/industry/i060309.html

It seems to me CDNN is about as reliable as the average supermarket tabloid: biased, sensationalistic, and journalistically irresonsible. Generally speaking, if they publish it, they don't give a source attribution, and I don't see it covered elsewhere, I assume their story is a steaming pile of crap.

cdiver2:
If there are other facilities in the area that accept DAN and they charge the same as
or less than SSS then we would know the truth. Is it that hard to figure out?.

oh, i see... you're trying to figure out if these guys are gauging DAN.
good luck getting in the middle of that dog fight.

basically, i don't care about that. that's for my insurance company (DAN)
to work out with the provider.

all i care about is that my DAN insurance will be good. since DAN has repeatedly
assured me that it is good, i'm happy with that

CDNN has never been known for fact-checking or maintaining an objective viewpoint. That being said, the dispute between DAN and SSS is a real one, and even though DAN says they do not want their divers caught in the middle, you could be. The worst case scenario is probably that you would have to come out of pocket and the DAN would reimburse you (and I would immediately download, or copy, those press releases that say that in case something comes up in the future). Dont get me wrong, I love DAN and have even called them in the middle of the night on a weekend and got referred to a Doc that would answer my question or address symptoms, whichever, but they have been plauged with some problems of late, and this thing does not help. If you are really bothered by it (because the real worse thing that can happen is some insurance-bot tells you later you were not insured, and you should have known it, and they are not going to reimburse you), I would call DAN and see if they will make a partial refund and tell them you are uncomfortable because they really cannot guarantee anything. The next step would be to find insurance elsewhere (which is readily available). If you are addicted to DAN, then come back next policy period when all this blows over. Things happen, people get into business disputes all the time. The problem is you dont want to be standing (or lying) there with basketballs inside your neck with some guy saying: no senor, nosotros no acceptando DAN en este lugar (or whatever the equivalent Thai or Malaysian or whatever other places there are with the problem would say). Eventually they will work all this out - until then, make sure you are comfortable and secure with what you have - and be careful out there!!!!

CN

Heres a remedy i am going to use. i am not going to go to these locations and keep my dan coverage. There are plenty of other places to dive that aren't invloved with these kinds of issues. Sorry for the dive industry there but if the government cared about the dive industry they would step in to make sure it kept divers coming back.

i'm with scubaaronh

SSS sounds like a bunch of creeps to me

H2Andy:
oh, i see... you're trying to figure out if these guys are gauging DAN.
good luck getting in the middle of that dog fight.

basically, i don't care about that. that's for my insurance company (DAN)
to work out with the provider.

all i care about is that my DAN insurance will be good. since DAN has repeatedly
assured me that it is good, i'm happy with that

All this back and forward bickering (DAN & SSS) neither side has shown what reasonable and customary is. You would think if DAN & SSS are arguing about this then they would both have figures to support it...or is it just me that's a simpleton...don't answer that :D

MSilvia:
Let's not forget those roving organized crime gangs of graverobbing wreck divers headed up by the notorious Sheard and Bishop. CDNN would apparently have you believe that not a pice of frayed rope washes up on a beach without those guys cut it loose from a pristine and historically important archaeological site. Note here how their (worst possible) pictures are prominently displayed even though they have nothing to do with the article in question. http://www.cdnn.info/news/industry/i060309.html

It seems to me CDNN is about as reliable as the average supermarket tabloid: biased, sensationalistic, and journalistically irresonsible. Generally speaking, if they publish it, they don't give a source attribution, and I don't see it covered elsewhere, I assume their story is a steaming pile of crap.

You and I have had some disagreements in the past but I have to agree with you on this. WOW You took me by surprise with such a strong statement.

Well, I for one am bowing out of this argument.

The issue is real and it sounds like DAN is working on it.
I called DAN and was told that I should call the 24 hour hotline if I need a chamber.
They will find the closest available chamber and direct me there and cover the cost.
I printed the statement from thier web site and have it archived just in case.

Thats good enough for me.
If there are issues after that, I have a lawyer.

Sorry to have fired this up again but I felt it important.

Done Deal.

Scooter

Back
Top Bottom