Is another problem with DAN brewing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
but they do cover me... it's just 10 chambers who dont' want to accept
my insurance.

we're losing perspective here. THE WHOLE WORLD will take my DAN insurance,
except for these 10 chambers.... sounds like i'm covered to me.
also, sounds like the problem is not with DAN but with these 10 chambers.

if these chambers want to be weenies and not take my insurance, hey,
i won't go diving near there

that's their problem, not mine

TOTALLY and completely agree with every word.

If you stay with DAN, then what are your options at the places listed:

Bahamas
Baja California
Belize
Cancun
Cozumel
Galapagos
Phuket, Thailand
Playa del Carmen
Samui, Thailand
Yucatan, Mexico

I know that Cozumel has a 2nd chamber on the Island so there is basically no problem there. It's basically a matter of what address you give the taxi (or ambulance). What about the others? Short or long ground transport? Air ambulance? SOL?

Are there other chambers in the SSS network that could weigh in and compound this further?

H2Andy:
but they do cover me... it's just 10 chambers who dont' want to accept
my insurance.

we're losing perspective here. THE WHOLE WORLD will take my DAN insurance,
except for these 10 chambers.... sounds like i'm covered to me.
also, sounds like the problem is not with DAN but with these 10 chambers.

if these chambers want to be weenies and not take my insurance, hey,
i won't go diving near there

that's their problem, not mine

hear ! hear ! or should it be here ! here! ?

Plenty of other insurance companies around which will cover you. The claim/counter claim is between DAN and these chambers only not any other company. Chamber operator may or may not be overcharging, DAN may or may not be untruthful in all this. Whatever the case, plenty of other insurance options.

I asked this in the sticky thread before I saw this thread. Here is my question:

If you were scheduled to dive in and around Phuket in 6 days, and you carried DAN insurance, would you trust that DAN would indeed wire money to the chamber there if God forbid, you needed it? Or would you buy new insurance for the trip?

I called DAN and spoke with someone there, and they assured me they would. Somehow though, this gives me an uneasy feeling. Like "The check is in the mail" or "I'll still respect you in the morning" kind of feeling

If you have a question with your DAN insurance it's best to check with DAN direct and not go by emails or posting that have gone around on the 'net. I was just there and read thier information- which I will trust first over any posting or emails (no offence to ScubaBoard). I'm with in a week of going on a trip so I want to know the scoop on this as well. Good information on the 'net but you still need to becarefull out here.
Ray

Courtneyf82:
This sux, I just bought DAN insurance like 2 weeks ago and have a trip to Mexico planned. Its not like Im planning a chamber ride, thats just my kind of luck.
Uh - no problem that I see. You simply go to the other chamber clinic, and be sure that your dive Op knows this from day 1.

detroit diver:
I wonder if DAN is going to update their website to include

1. The additional non-covered sites.
2. Their offer to pay in full the non-covered sites.
Did you not see the link/release...?
From: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=723
News & Events
DAN Addresses Concerns About Dive Insurance

On Tuesday, Jan. 31, DAN issued the following statement, addressing concerns among members about insurance coverage:

"DAN strongly emphasizes that we support our members. In the unlikely event of a diving injury, be assured that if any DAN member were to be referred to a chamber, their DAN diving accident insurance and membership will apply.

"If the chamber is one of the nine (9) facilities referred to in the press release from SSS Corporate Headquarters, SSS has stated, categorically, they DO accept the DAN diving accident insurance.

"If a DAN member were to be referred to one of the three (3) facilities that have stated they do not support DAN and will not accept insurance purchased with DAN membership (the SSS chambers in Nassau, Cabo San Lucas or Cancun), DAN will nevertheless work to assure that the DAN members are covered.

"Although DAN maintains that the charges at these three facilities are in excess of reasonable and customary charges, divers should not be caught in the middle of this dispute.

"To ensure that the divers are not caught in the middle, effective immediately, DAN's insurer will coordinate with the SSS chambers in Nassau, Cabo San Lucas or Cancun to cover all treatment charges.

"When the injured DAN Member or their representative contacts DAN using the 24-Hour Diving Emergency Hotline, DAN will liaise with the chamber to arrange immediate payment. DAN will continue to do so until there has been a resolution to this dispute. Rest assured, DAN continues to seek an amicable resolution."

If you'd like more information (for example, to see the names of the nine pro-DAN SSS facilities see the announcement entitled "DAN Responds to SSS Press Release," in the News & Events section of the website or go to http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=709.

If you have questions about chamber availability, please call DAN Headquarters at 1-800-446-2671 and speak to a DAN medic; or email DAN at medic@DiversAlertNetwork.org.
awap:
If you stay with DAN, then what are your options at the places listed:

Bahamas - Medivac to Florida for better care anyway?
Baja California
Belize
Cancun - Go to the PDC chamber that does?
Cozumel - Go to the other one there that does?
Galapagos
Phuket, Thailand
Playa del Carmen - Someone posted earlier that he call them and thye do?
Samui, Thailand
Yucatan, Mexico - Medivac to PDC or Coz?
Or call DAN collect and have them prepay the bill at the others...?

String:
Plenty of other insurance companies around which will cover you. The claim/counter claim is between DAN and these chambers only not any other company. Chamber operator may or may not be overcharging, DAN may or may not be untruthful in all this. Whatever the case, plenty of other insurance options.
Well, there are some others, but if DAN allows these chambers to gouge, then others will. Once the chambers get control of DAN, they'll really hit the others. You want to fight or pay?

detroit diver:
Think about what you just wrote. The local dive industry will suffer because a chamber op has a disagreement with an insurer. More than that, the diver will avoid some spectacular diving because his/her insurance company won't cover him/her. I think there are some priorities mixed up here. You can spend your money anyway that you want, but if your intent is to punish the chamber (as the previous post seemed to intend), this doesn't seem like a reasonable way to do that. You're punishing the local dive op, the hotels, the restaurants, the taxis-just about everyone but the chamber!

Checking out several Nassau dive operations, they have a $1 per diving day 'tax' to support the chamber there. Could this be the same chamber that has a beef with DAN paying usual and customary charges for their insured members there? If so, I'll take a pass on diving in Nassau. They want to collect my money and then overcharge my insurance carrier if I really need the service. No thanks.

tachyon

tachyon:
Checking out several Nassau dive operations, they have a $1 per diving day 'tax' to support the chamber there. Could this be the same chamber that has a beef with DAN paying usual and customary charges for their insured members there? If so, I'll take a pass on diving in Nassau. They want to collect my money and then overcharge my insurance carrier if I really need the service. No thanks.

tachyon

Coz has the same charge also?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom