I'm paying retail for equipment from LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But nevertheless it makes sense as a stance to take if you are a scuba equiptment manufacturer, upholding warranties is costly, so why not eliminate that problem when you can.

Cheekymonkey:
But nevertheless it makes sense as a stance to take if you are a scuba equiptment manufacturer, upholding warranties is costly, so why not eliminate that problem when you can.

Upholding warranty is only costly if you make a crappy product.

Brian

Certainly not true, the scuba pro warranty includes parts for life if you keep it regularly serviced by a scubapro authorized shop. Tell me that doesnt add up

I personaly think a warranty should be honored by a manufacturer no matter where their merchandise is bought. I have mechanic tools that offer warranties no matter where you purchase them. Also Scubapro probably pays little of nothing for the service kits.I mean come on they are a international billion dollar company.

Swan1172:
If you think about it, warranties are pretty much worthless anyway. How can you justify $50-$100 per year to keep your regulators inspected just to maintain the warranties? Doesn't it make more sense to just bite the bullet and pay when something needs to be repaired or
replaced? Also, does a lifetime warranty really make sense if it costs you enough in annual inspections to buy new in a few years?

You want to wait til something goes wrong to service your regulator?
You don't think a piece of life support equipment or your life is worth $20 a stage
for labor?
:confused:

Cheekymonkey:
Certainly not true, the scuba pro warranty includes parts for life if you keep it regularly serviced by a scubapro authorized shop. Tell me that doesnt add up
And that might explain why ScubaPro feels the need to enforce a 'minimum price policy' now wouldn't it...:wink:

Besides, the parts included in that kit are extremely inexpensive. This isn't a warranty on the product. It's a hook to keep you coming to their 'authorized dealer' and spending money on a regular basis. Oh, and don't you dare miss a year or then you'll have to PAY for those parts, in addition to the labor.

You're still talking about warranty and service on the product, not the product itself. One would assume that a ScubaPro regulator is built based on a sound, tested, and proven design in a factory where an effective quality control process is in place, right? As such it is a quality, functioning product when it leaves the factory and arrives on the retail shelf. So what difference does it make WHO owns the shelf? It's still a quality product--right?

Brian

Everyone forgets about recalls.....they dont happen often, but wouldnt you like to know....There were some T9 and T6 computers( cant remember exactly) that were recalled not that long ago.....Im not sure how many were recalled, but if you didnt get if from an authorized dealer.......you wouldnt know........Then when your diving, god forbid, something could have happened......Now dont try to say Im trying to scare people into buying from LDS, thats not my point, but you cant just say the service aspect isnt worth it and thats the only thing you get.....RECALLS are very important and when my life depends on it....you can sure I want to know if there might be a problem with my equipment....

M

Swan1172:
Unfortunately the one on ScubaPro's website does not contain the paragraph about the minimum price policy. (Not that that's your fault of course). Admittedly that page looks a bit funny (not formatted quite right) when I view it with Firefox so it's possible that I'm having browser issues.

I would be very surprised to see ScubaPro state that openly since it is, at the very least, leagally questionable and, at the very worst, blatantly illegal.

Thanks for citing your source though!

Brian

cdreamer:
You want to wait til something goes wrong to service your regulator?
You don't think a piece of life support equipment or your life is worth $20 a stage
for labor?
:confused:

First of all, it costs me a lot more than $20 per stage for labor. My last reg service cost $100. Second, the whole idea of getting your regs inspected once per year is just a way for the LDS to get you into the store. Also, do you know when one of the most likely times for regs to fail? Right after they are serviced. Finally, most modern regs are designed to free-flow when they fail, so you are really unlikely to face and OOA situation.

Back
Top Bottom