How to illuminate wrist computer during night dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The lighting contrast in my Atmos-2 doesn't do it for me. I just shine the edge of my beam near it.

jtoorish:
One thing you do not want to do is rig a light to your mask, it will blind other divers nearby.
Jeff

I dive with divers who have lights on their masks and I've never been blinded.

Even if you don't blind your buddies, a light on your mask strap will tend to attract a swarm of bitty critters in front of your mask, and the glare will affect your vis (ask a photog why they have the strobes mounted on arms, away from the camera lens).

Lets just say that my UK "mask size" (mini Q40) will blind you on a "buddy distance" during daytime..

I wonder if there are other ways I could illuminate the computer while on my wrist. Perhaps a glowstick taped to my forearm? Not sure it would be bright enough. Perhaps those bracelet glowsticks, kind of wrapped around the computer? I'm just thinking aloud.

Carrying a glowstick is recommendable in the first place, but I tend to have it on the tank..

I hang a pelican light that take 1 AAA on my left BC D ring. THen I have the computer there on the D ring too. No one gets blinded, and I can usually read it by just looking down to the computer on the D ring.

I wear my computer on my left wrist, and hold the light in my right.

I don't think anyone really needs to have their hand constantly on their shoulder dump valve while ascending... although I ascend in horozontial trim when I used to do it vertically I only dumped air 2 or 3 dives on an ascent. I think loss of visibility of your computer for 2 or 3 seconds at a time should not be a big issue...

Maybe practise bouyancy on ascents rather than adding complication to your rig underwater?

Just had a play with my D6, and I notice you can set the backlight to come on for 60 seconds eadh time you press the button. The default is 5 seconds so maybe this is worth trying too - pressing the button every minute or so might be acceptable for you?

Back
Top Bottom