How to illuminate wrist computer during night dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco II

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My primary dive computer is a Suunto D6 wrist style computer which I love. The only problem I have is during night dives. Pressing the button to turn on the light is a pain. Also, since it is on my right wrist, I have to switch my primary dive light to my left hand to shine on it when I want to read it. Again, a pain.

I am wondering what people are doing to illuminate their wrist computer? I've considered a small light attached to my mask strap, but don't like the idea of blinding my dive buddies when I am looking at them. Any tips or suggestions?

I hold my primary like in my left hand by default. Computer on the right wrist. Why don't you try keeping your light in your left hand? That keeps your primary hand free for want ever. Assuming you are right handed.

How about moving your computer to your left wrist?

I mainly mind the pressure and the compass during night dives. The computer I only use from time to time so pressing the button dont really bother me that much.

With regards to "mask light".. PLEASE dont do it. Its hell for everyone you dive with when you start looking for your buddy.. Worst thing I know is being blinded on a night dive..

I still find the need to have a hand on my inflator hose when ascending and doing safety stops, and want to be able to hold it and be able to read my computer at the same time. So I find having the computer on my right wrist works better for me.

gcbryan:
How about moving your computer to your left wrist?

The move the light to left hand. You can hook it off to a chest Dring when you need the inflator,or you can go butt up and dump with the pull dump. Alternatively, reach across to use the inflator with your right hand.

I mounted a 2AAA cell LED light on my right shoulder strap, snapped to my D-ring and pointing downward. Enough lite to read the guage but not enough to blind anyone and it has a long burn time. Either that or switch your primary light from hand to hand as you go for depth and direction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom