Tasered over speeding ticket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think both parties made mistakes and hopefully both parties will learn from those mistakes. I have to lean in favor of the officer though because they risk their lives with every traffic stop.

My son just turned 16 and got his drivers license. I have taught him how to act when he gets pulled over. Have your insurance and registration in the center console on top and easily accessible. As soon as the blue lights come on signal your intent to pull over and then do so at the nearest safe place. Put in park and turn off the engine. If at night, turn on the interior compartment light. Immediately get your license, registration and insurance card and put them on the dash in front of you. Put both hands on the wheel and leave them there until told otherwise. Answer questions politely and use "Yes, Sir and No, Sir". You'll still probably get a ticket but at least everyone should be safe.

My son just turned 16 and got his drivers license. I have taught him how to act when he gets pulled over. Have your insurance and registration in the center console on top and easily accessible. As soon as the blue lights come on signal your intent to pull over and then do so at the nearest safe place. Put in park and turn off the engine. If at night, turn on the interior compartment light. Immediately get your license, registration and insurance card and put them on the dash in front of you. Put both hands on the wheel and leave them there until told otherwise. Answer questions politely and use "Yes, Sir and No, Sir". You'll still probably get a ticket but at least everyone should be safe.

Exactly how it was taught to me years ago in driver's ed, except for the "immediately get you license, registration, and insurance" ready part. It was explained to me not to fiddle with anything in the car, i.e., center console or glove box, until the officer is present and then ask for permission before open up anything that might be able to conceal a weapon. If you interior dome light is on, which it should be at night, the officer has no way of knowing what you're looking for. It could be your insurance, it could be a weapon. It might be excessive but in my view the LEOs have a dangerous job and it's no skin of my back to be as courteous and benign looking as possible. No way could you get me to pull over random cars at night on the middle of an abandoned highway.

Good advice, and if I may add, keep your hands in plain sight.
Exactly how it was taught to me years ago in driver's ed, except for the "immediately get you license, registration, and insurance" ready part. It was explained to me not to fiddle with anything in the car, i.e., center console or glove box, until the officer is present and then ask for permission before open up anything that might be able to conceal a weapon. If you interior dome light is on, which it should be at night, the officer has no way of knowing what you're looking for. It could be your insurance, it could be a weapon. It might be excessive but in my view the LEOs have a dangerous job and it's no skin of my back to be as courteous and benign looking as possible. No way could you get me to pull over random cars at night on the middle of an abandoned highway.

You get arrested for refusing to sign a ticket? That's new to me.

try knocking the pen out of the officer's hand when he's handing it to you :D

I had the great misfortune of attending traffic school a few years back and asked the officer in charge how best to handle stops. The procedure I outlined is what he said he prefers to have happen. I think you should be good as long as your hands are in plain sight on the wheel when the officer approaches the car.

I can't believe how many people defend the actions of stupid people. Everything a cop does now is under a microscope. Yes there are some real a@#hole cops out there that feel the have the power to push people around. The majority of them are out there to do their job and to protect your ass and even those who seem to hate them. When it comes down to it they want to do their job and go home to their family. I like everyone else have seen video of cops that have hesitated and have been beaten or shot with their own service weapon. And still you have people saying that the guy who blatantly ignores the officer’s requests as he walks back to his car is a victim and the officer should be canned. Give me a break.
I'm always driving over the speed limit. I have been stopped numerous times. Funny thing is I've never been tazed. Hmmmmm I wonder why that is. Maybe because I was being polite and respectful. In return the officer is polite and respectful back and sometimes even lets you off with a warning.
There are too many people out there that don't give a S#@t for anyone’s life including an officers’. Tough job when criminals are always the good guys and a victim of the bad old police.
JK

I can't believe how many people defend the actions of stupid people. Everything a cop does now is under a microscope. Yes there are some real a@#hole cops out there that feel the have the power to push people around. The majority of them are out there to do their job and to protect your ass and even those who seem to hate them. When it comes down to it they want to do their job and go home to their family. I like everyone else have seen video of cops that have hesitated and have been beaten or shot with their own service weapon. And still you have people saying that the guy who blatantly ignores the officer’s requests as he walks back to his car is a victim and the officer should be canned. Give me a break.
I'm always driving over the speed limit. I have been stopped numerous times. Funny thing is I've never been tazed. Hmmmmm I wonder why that is. Maybe because I was being polite and respectful. In return the officer is polite and respectful back and sometimes even lets you off with a warning.
There are too many people out there that don't give a S#@t for anyone’s life including an officers’. Tough job when criminals are always the good guys and a victim of the bad old police.
JK

:cheers: Amen. I'll drink to that! :cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom