Tasered over speeding ticket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So unbelieveable that I can't believe it's not staged.

The guy was an idiot though.

The side of the road is not the place to argue.

I never did hear the fuzz read him his rights.

Lawsuit in the making.

He was tazered for being an idiot. However the cop who stopped him seemed to be kinda noobish too by not being able to communicate clearly what exactly was the problem, neither before or after he tazered the guy.

Then a couple of questions;
Is it only in the movies youre to be read your rights if youre being arrested?
Cant you deny signing a sitation and be taken to court over the issue instead?

You only read someone their rights if you are going to question them about the crime. Since there was no need to question this guy there was no need to read him his rights.

If you refuse to sign a citation you are arrested and booked into jail. You then get to go before the judge the following business day and explain why you couldn't sign a promise to appear.

prob shouldnt speed in construction zone, argue with cops, then turn your back and put your hands in your pocket then walk back to your car

not to say that I havent wanted to get some close face time with cops with little big man syndrome

jumbo

You get arrested for refusing to sign a ticket? That's new to me.

<sigh>

I've watched the Tazer go from:

a sub-lethal tool for dealing with heavily combative situations (and rarely used)

to

a tool of convenience (and used all the time).

BTW, did you hear the part where the patrolman told the victim to get out of the vehicle? And then left him laying in traffic.

All the best, James

You get arrested for refusing to sign a ticket? That's new to me.

In texas you are technically under arrest when ticketed, but allowed to go and promise to appear. that is what your sig means: you promise to appear, not an admission of guilt. If you refuse to sign, time to go to jail.

other poster got it right. you only get read your rights when questioned, not when arrested.

the man made a huge mistake refusing to sign, walking to his car, and putting his hands in his pocket. there was no way the officer was going to let this go. I would probably have used more verbal judo. if explained to most people that they sign or go to jail, I have had VERY few actually choose jail, but some have. go figure. police will not debat with a suspect on the side of the road. the time to make an argument is in a court of law.

prob shouldnt speed in construction zone, argue with cops, then turn your back and put your hands in your pocket then walk back to your car

not to say that I havent wanted to get some close face time with cops with little big man syndrome

jumbo
Putting your hand in the pocket and walking back to your car would be the idiot part for sure.

The reason why the cop tazered him at that point was probably because his evaluation was that if he tried to stop him with use of his arms, the guy would attack him. With the attitude of the guy at that point, maybe a correct assesment, but still, using the tazer is excessive and unneccesary.
Heck, he coulda even let the guy drive away, since he had already checked license and registration and waited for backup before they just arrested the guy for speeding and resisting arrest :p

Did you guys watch the same video I watched? Sure, the driver was stupid to be arguing the merits of a ticket and refusing to sign, but watch the tape from the moment the officer told him to get out of the car. The officer walked directly to his car, laid the paperwork on the hood, and reached to his left hip and pulled his taser and cuffs *as* he was saying for the *first time* to "turn around and put your hands behind your back". He was pointing the taser at the guy *before* the guy started back to his car. It was in response to being targeted that the driver said "what the hell is wrong with you" and started walking away. When his wife jumped out of the car the driver was telling her "run, run".

It was kinda hard to hear all that was being said when the driver was in his car, but it sounded to me that as soon as the driver said he wasn't signing anything the cop said get out of the car. Seems to me the cop could have explained the alternatives, either sign or be arrested, rather than proceeding straight to arrest. I doubt the cop is a bad guy but needs to be a little more patient with the dumb ones.

Back
Top Bottom