Big tanks in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am planning a quick trip to Coz in about a month or so, and need a little updated data. Specifically, who offers bigger tanks down there? I am aware of Living Underwater and Aldora, of course, but am not sure who else does this. 120 tanks are nice, but 100's are sure better than nothing. Any advice? Woody

Blue XT offers S100 for the heavy breathers for a few extra $$ if you are looking for more gas so you can stay with the group. They will still run normal dive times of about 1 hr rather than significantly extended dive times.

Blue XT Sea, Scubatony & Peligic Ventures all offered them to me at a $5.00 per tank additional charge.

Aldora has steel HP120's. We were getting hugh bottom times (80 min avg) when I was there. Great op and great people. Do a search and you will find some more info on them.

If you have a Dive Rite vest and an extra reg, you can rig double Al-80s - 160 cu ft!

My friend and mentor, Roger, is a big guy. He was frustrated diving in Cozumel when he had to come up from his dives before anyone else, being low on air. After talking it over with one of the instructors, he was able to borrow the necessary harness and carry two 80s.

Our usual practice in Cozumel is to do our last dive of the trip on a shallow spot and stay down for a long dive, often lasting two-hours or more. At the end of that trip, we dove Paradise Reef. When Jesus finally called the dive, Roger was still with me and Deborah. It wasn't until I was back on the boat that I realized Roger was breathing fumes...he was going to be damned if he ran out of air before I did. Of course, if I had known that, I would have stayed in the water and waited him out.

roger.jpg

Blue XT Sea, Scubatony & Peligic Ventures all offered them to me at a $5.00 per tank additional charge.

Actually, we all have AL 100's, not Steel 100's

Our bottom times average 60 to 70 minutes - although all last week our divers were logging 80 to 90 minutes

I've been wondering about this too; I usually dive steel 119s when I want a little extra bottom time. I'm booked in March with Scubaclub Coz, where I think you can get up to 100cf tanks.

What I'm wondering is: can you (or does it make sense to) rent 120s from a dive op who has them and then use them on the boats with the dive op who takes you out? I'm not really concerned about this because I can make a 100 last a good long time, but if it were easy I might spend a little more in cash and effort to dive with 120s and not even think about air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom