Can anyone recommend a good pair of fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting comment Ronzo, I've never tried Turtles, but my friends who've used both only use the turtles because Jets won't fit their dry suit, they prefer Jets. You're the first person I've heard with the opposite opinion.

Walter,
There's many pretenders, but only one Jet fin. I to, prefer Jets over the Turtles. :wink: :palmtree: Bob

im shocked at so many posts and no one has yet mentioned turtles ... so i will say that most of the people who vote JETS fall into two categories:
they either dont fit in turtles
they have not tried turtles

(nothing wrong with jets, they are awesome, just not as good as turtles.)

I have Turtles and Jets. They are certainly a suitable substitue for the Jet Fin in my book. I think that they turn and back better than the Jets, because the double vent gives them more of a "tread" when they're moving sideways. This comes at the expense of a little bit of oomph when moving forward, also due as far as I can tell, to the double vent.

I would suggest a pair of Jet fins with spring straps. They are a proven design, they provide a lot of thrust, and they work well for a variety of kicking styles.

There are many choices out there, with split fins styles often being mentioned as a good choice.

I've tried split fins(Atomic), they didn't seem like that great of a fin to me.

The arguements for split fins do not make much sense to me.

Jet fins, or some other paddle fin design would be my recommendation.

-Mitch

I tried a pair of OMS Slipstream "Jet Fins" yesterday and loved them. Tons of power when needed and they stop and turn on a dime with no leg strain. Cruising with frog kick is effortless. The foot pocket is longer and the instep more flexible than my Scubapro Jets, i.e., they are much more comfortable. They are also much lighter for traveling, which is why I bought them. Another reason I bought them is that they are on sale at LeisurePro for $61.00.

anzac65:
So, you're saying that the twinjets you used were slower than the Jets ?

I don't know, I never test fins for speed. Going fast is not something I need when diving.

I have Jets, Slipstreams, FF Pros and Hollis Tech fins. The Hollis gets my vote hands down. Except for warm water then I use my slips because they are much lighter to pack.

Have any of you guys tried Mor-Fins yet? I just got my third pair, the largest ones they make. XXL. They're awesome. Heavy duty like jets, fairly stiff, and they slip through the water like butter. I do a lot of beach dives and my biggest concern is dropping them in the surf and losing them. (They're my favorites!) They fall through the water unbelieveably quick. Faster than any other fin I've owned. I attribute that to their excellent stramlining and efficiency in a liquid. Great fins, just don't drop them in deep or murky water because they'll be gone! You won't catch them!

hi there,

i am in the market for a new pair of fins. i have allways used old fashioned rocket fins and these have worked fine for me, so im used to stiff, heavy fins. but i want to upgrade to more modern fin designs and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. i usually frog kick so the fins would have to work best using this technique. i was looking at biofins and force fins but unfortunately they are not available in my area. i would love to hear suggestions.

thanks

It might have been better if you could tell us what IS available in your area. This frog kicking thing keeps coming up and I still can't picture why. Are you disabled or perhaps a photographer who needs to maintain a certain gait or posture? In any case, I can't recommend anything to you unless I have used it with good results and compared to available test data from a reputable source. Tusa Zoom splits come to mind but you should do the frog kick in a pool before buying. Otherwise, there is a jet type fin which is proven to work well; that is the XS Scuba Power Fin. Since you use Rockets it may be easier to acclimate to the Power Fin. Don't be concerned about using splits in a current, those allegations, eg that they lack thrust, are bogus. Biofins Pro and XT tied for the highest thrust among all commonly available fins during tests in the USA and in Europe. The other very powerful fins were Quattros and Mares SuperChannel. The Euro test also rated the Excellerator highly (but costly, BP400). Several others such as the Smoke and Power Fin came close as well. Zooms have high thrust but I can't remember the ranking. I think highly of them but not for surface swimming because of the blade angle. The Biofin XT is nothing short of impressive. Too bad that they are not available in your area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom