Deciding on masks: advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thrillhouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently lost the masked I'd done roughly 30 dives in, an Oceanic Shadow. I was very fond of it but found out my dive shop no longer gets the model from the supplier and have looked at some others. I tried on the TUSA VISIO (link below) today and liked it. Nice fit, and the added bonus of the side glass. Still, I like the Shadow.

My question is this:

Is it a good idea to go with the VISIO? I haven't tried it underwater and it seems to be a bit cheaper than the Shadow. I know cost isn't everything, but I am willing to pay the extra for the Shadow if I think it will be a better product. Also, the Shadow is frameless (not sure what the advantage of this is, but buyer sites always mention it) and very low profile. I've only done about 30 dives and liked the fact it has a smaller air pocket inside, as it seemed this would make it easier to clear and therefore safer to use. Is this a realistic concern? Finally, the Shadow doesn't have the side glass for peripheral vision. I have never dove with another mask, so I have no idea how important this is.

How would you guys evaluate these two masks, and my situation considering what I've posted? Any suggestions? Does anyone know about the reputations of the two companies?

Cheers

Tabata USA, Inc. : M-31 VISIO TRI-EX [M-31] - $0.00

Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba Diving Masks - Shadow Series

Are you limited to just one of the two choices? If not I can tell you I have wasted more money on masks than I care to admit but now I use an Atomics frameless and love it. I own one clear and one black skirt but prefer the black. Iv'e aslo used a Scubapro frameless which was nice. I find the frameless fit much better on my face and it isn't unusual to go a whole dive with no water at all in the mask. Just my two cents.

If it fits, doesn't leak, and is easy to clear, what we say makes no difference at all. The mask that is 5 or 10 bucks cheaper is the same as one that is 100 more if it does not do the job. It is worthless. If you liked the shadow buy one on line. ANd if the shop is still selling oceanic gear they don't want your business. They want to sell their old stock. Tell them to order you one. If they don't go elsewhere.

I started off with side glass and people asked me how I liked it. I just gave them a blank look. I now dive with a low profile and love it. Sometimes it leaks but that's because I don't always keep my moustache trim but it usually not a big problem to sort that out once underwater. The only way you can truly find out if it is good is when you dive. Does your dive shop have a pool that you can try it out in?

There's a pool, but I don't think I'd be able to try them. I'm thinking of hitting a couple other dive shops during my Christmas shopping this weekend to try some different masks. What are the advantages/disadvantages with a low-profile mask? Are those side bubbles really worth it, or are they a gimmick?

Cheers for the advice so far, guys. :D

What are the advantages/disadvantages with a low-profile mask?

Pros: Easier to clear, lense is closer to eyes so less distortion of vision, less drag in high current

Cons: Easier to flood? But since they're easier to clear, I don't really see that as a con. May be harder to get a good fit for people with, um, large facial features - but then if it doesn't fit, why would you buy it

So in summary, no cons IMHO

Another vote for the atomic aquatics frameless from me. But bottom line is, as jimlap said - the right mask for you is the one that fits your face (although the atomic comes in both wide and narrow fit, which helps)

If it fits, doesn't leak, and is easy to clear, what we say makes no difference at all. The mask that is 5 or 10 bucks cheaper is the same as one that is 100 more if it does not do the job. It is worthless. If you liked the shadow buy one on line. ANd if the shop is still selling oceanic gear they don't want your business. They want to sell their old stock. Tell them to order you one. If they don't go elsewhere.

Agreed. The reason I sepnt so much on previous masks is because I followed the advice of others way too often. If you find something that works stick with it but if you happen to know someone you can borrow something different from give it a try.

Are you limited to just one of the two choices? If not I can tell you I have wasted more money on masks than I care to admit but now I use an Atomics frameless and love it. I own one clear and one black skirt but prefer the black. Iv'e aslo used a Scubapro frameless which was nice. I find the frameless fit much better on my face and it isn't unusual to go a whole dive with no water at all in the mask. Just my two cents.

I am also looking at the Atomic frame less. I was wondering if it was worth the price.

I am also looking at the Atomic frame less. I was wondering if it was worth the price.

As the owner of two Atomic frameless masks I'd say yes. I bought the second one because I became so accustomed to how great the Atomic is, I hated having my previous "back up" mask on for even a few minutes during "primary mask failure" drills in my Tech class.

Back
Top Bottom