How often are you asked for C-card and/or dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

never asked to se alog book although i keep one... I was asked in provo when my last dive was but other than that no log.
always asked to see the card!!!

Personally I have mixed feelings about logs... on one hand, as some have pointed out, they can be a neat little reminder of the places and faces over the years. They can be useful if you're heading back to a dive site you haven't been to in a while to kind of remind yourself of the what's-what about it. Dive logs can be especially useful to new divers to develop some dicipline in their dive practices and planning...

... but, as others have pointed out... if I REALLY want some idea of what your dive skill is... the log really doesn't mean that much... divers can put anything they want in there... and I wouldn't know a phony log if I saw one. ON the other hand... a few well placed questions and observation on how you handle your gear is generally more informative as to what you skill level MIGHT be...

... just my two PSI...

Personally... I like my log... I've pictures in there... contact info for dive shops I've had good luck with... notes on things I'd like to do at dive sites I'd like to get back to... handy...

my "c-card ask rate" is probably about 80%. I'm surprised at how many operators don't ask for the card. Sometimes I have it in my hand and end up putting it away without showing it.

I always carry multiple cards secreted in various places - that way, even if I lose my nitrox cert card, at least I can dive air.

I've been asked for my log when signing up for training and for working in an aquarium. I don't always carry it to dive sites though, don't want to lose it on a boat - but I'll always have it in the car so I can collect my signatures.

That brings up something - I always used to carry my logs on the boat, but after getting them soaked a couple of times, I began to think about the possibility of having them destroyed entirely - not worth the risk. on many trips, everything I carry gets soaked, or tossed around. Even a dry bag may not protect everything.

Logs never. On my recent trip to FL though I avoided one operator because they require recent logged dives. Other folks who, like me do not keep logs, reported that this operator required a series of accompanied check out dives if no log book. I looked at that as just a money grubbing requirement so I avoided them.

I did run into something this trip that I hadn't seen very often before; no medical form or release. Usually the operator has some kind of detailed medical disclosure form to complete. This operator took the tack that if you certified you absolved them from liability that was enough.

I would more likely avoid an operator who required medical discosures than ones who required proof of experience by way of a log book.
I don't see anything wrong with assuming proof of recently experience indicates you are fit to dive.

I would more likely avoid an operator who required medical discosures than ones who required proof of experience by way of a log book.
I don't see anything wrong with assuming proof of recently experience indicates you are fit to dive.

I'll have to come south to dive with you so we can talk more; and get wet in the process!

Anyway, this is the first operator I've dived with who did not require a diver to fill out a medical disclosure form. Considering that many divers just don't consider it any of the operator's business what their medical status is and complete the form accordingly I've always considered the form to be useless at best and, at worst, clouding the liability issue.

The operator I dove with did not require proof of recent dive experience. Just a C Card and the liability release. The money grubber I avoided was the one who wanted a log book as proof of recent experience.

I'll have to come south to dive with you so we can talk more; and get wet in the process!

Please do!

Anyway, this is the first operator I've dived with who did not require a diver to fill out a medical disclosure form. Considering that many divers just don't consider it any of the operator's business what their medical status is and complete the form accordingly I've always considered the form to be useless at best and, at worst, clouding the liability issue.

The operator I dove with did not require proof of recent dive experience. Just a C Card and the liability release. The money grubber I avoided was the one who wanted a log book as proof of recent experience.

Laws are probably different here but several years ago I drove a boat for a charter operator. His policy was the less involved you got with the diver's business the less liability you assumed and more like assuming the role of a cab driver. Since he was a lawyer who was I to argue. I did make sure their tank valve was opened before they splashed though.

My LDS owner has asked to see my log book but not for making a purchase just to check and review my experiences. I have not been asked for my c-card on several boats.

Please do!

Laws are probably different here but several years ago I drove a boat for a charter operator. His policy was the less involved you got with the diver's business the less liability you assumed and more like assuming the role of a cab driver. Since he was a lawyer who was I to argue. I did make sure their tank valve was opened before they splashed though.

Exactly! That is what I've been told by competent attorneys also. I think the operators who ask for details and then pass judgement on your medical fitness and/or your dive profile are asking for trouble. They quickly move into a murky supervisory role that can only complicate things for them in the event of problems. But, from the paperwork I've had to fill out at a variety of locations I think our views are in the minority.

As for my trip south; I'm headed to Hawaii for almost three weeks next month. After I get back I'm going to try to set up some dive trips. In the past few years these haven't been too successful for a variety of reasons. In your area the main reason has been not being able to get enough dives set up to justify the length and cost of a trip. PM me with Advise?

C-card: About a dozen times in three years. Log book-Once.

C-Card - most times
EANx Card - every time I've requested it.
Log book - a couple of times at resorts.

Funny story on that. I had just completed a class when I went to Club Med. Since I had my Instructor card (current, etc.) but no log book they STILL insisted I do the pool review.

So I just did IDC-level skill reviews for the instructor when he reviewed the skills and asked us to do them. Seemed to unnerve him a bit.

If you gotta do it, you might as well have some fun with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom