Diving While Sick

How many of you have dived while not feeling well?

• I never dive sick!

Votes: 49 68.1%
  • I'll dive with a cold!

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • I'll dive no matter what i feel like!

Votes: 5 6.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJDiver_34

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a dive scheduled for this weekend and I have a slight cold. I'm hoping that it will clear up in time so I can still dive but I started to think about all the time and money that went into setting up the trip. How many of you have ever dived while not feeling well and what were some of your experiences as a result. I know that winter will be setting in soon in the Northeast and many divers will be getting colds and alike. Let me know Thanks

NJDiver_34

IMHO-don't dive. If you have to ask this question then it is time to not dive. It is better to stay alive and dive another day.

I know what you are going through. I had a dive scheduled couple of weekends ago( Oct. 20th) but got sick had to abort.

Ole # 34,

I have to agree with WTB on this issue in general. As a victim of illness coming at a bad time myself, I can empathize with you. I have aborted dives in tropic locations due to...well, let's not get graphic. And, poor Barbara sat out several days on Cayman Brac once with a cough that just would not abate.

I do not know your definition of "slight", but any blockage of your Eustachian tubes could lead to very serious, life-long ear problems that would end your diving days.

Take two aspirin, drink lots of hot tea, curl up with a good book, etc.

Joewr...

with the others and say abort and dive another day

it's one of the basics taught in open water courses never dive when not feeling well. it can also lead to dcs

Don't dive.

I've done it and spent the entire dive feeling rotten - so what's the point? I'd like to point out here that it was the very beginnings of flu so while I wasn't congested, I was headachy and a tad feverish. Not one of my brightest ideas but hey, I was young and you (hopefully) learn from your mistakes.

Also as FredK pointed out - you are increasing your chances of DCS.

And to make you feel better: I had to abort my dives in Grenada and Trinidad. Boo hoo. Sob.

Sit out this time. We've all had to cancel dives, whether at home or on a dive trip so we know how you feel. But there WILL be other dives. If something happens and you screw up your ears...or worse...you r diving may be over permanently! You can always be the ground crew and still enjoy the atmosphere.

I went ahead and dove because I thought I was just a little stuffy. Didn't think anything about it until about two days later when I started getting awful headaches and went to the doc and had a massive sinus infection that took over 6 weeks and three different antibiotics to clear up. I learned my lesson. There's always something else to do above-water, so put your health first and you'll never regret it.

"Experience is the worst teacher; it gives the test before presenting the lesson."
Vernon Law (b. 1930), American Professional Baseball Player

Margaret
Sacramento, CA

Back
Top Bottom