Diving While Sick

How many of you have dived while not feeling well?

• I never dive sick!

Votes: 49 68.1%
  • I'll dive with a cold!

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • I'll dive no matter what i feel like!

Votes: 5 6.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by ScubaBaby
I second everyones comments.

But I have a question - does sea-sickness count as being ill?? :rolleyes:

Yes and no. It's not a viral or bacterial sickness, but can feel just as bad, even worse. If you're sea-sick and can manage to get in the water, once you submerge you'll feel ok again. But it will probably return during the surface interval. I was on a small boat once and started feeling a bit sea-sick just before the first dive, but I knew once I got in, I would be ok, and I was, but man, during the surface interval it hit me with a vengeance and I spent the rest of the time screaming at submarines :loopy: until we got back to shore.

Originally posted by Thresher
Take lots of liquids or try to get some medication from a Rescue Diver or your DM, until you’re tummy is back to normal.

Thresher mentioned taking medicine from a Rescue Diver or DM....I dont know what the laws are elsewhere but I just wanted to add - if your from the UK or in the UK - DONT!!!!!

We have many strange laws in the UK about this one. Never give another person any drug....inc. asprin, paracetamol, and even plasters.

The reason behind this is due to the fact, if your not a doctor or phamacist - you don't give them out. If the "patient" is allergic to one but didn't realise...your liable.

However as with most laws, there s loophole! Ask them to buy it off you for a penny and your covered! They brought a product, it was a fair exchange in the eyes of the people involved, and the responsibility is handed to the "patient".

ScubaBaby, is that true? Not even plaster?? Gosh, that is strange. I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself if I had first aid with me and was not able to help someone in pain for fear of legal action later on.

Alright folks, please pardon my ignorance and take heed the words of ScubaBaby :doctor:

Back here, if someone is suffering from gastric or diarrhoea, many will come forward to offer ‘po chai’ (some oriental miracle cure) pills. A lot of people seem to carry this around with them everywhere they go and I always make it a point to carry a few on dive trips. Tastes awful but it’s an amazing cure. They look like miniaturised shotgun pellets that you swallow in one go. It’s been around for as long as I can remember my grandma giving it to me when I had tummy aches. Not too sure what it's made of but I think it's natural chinese herbs.

Thanks ScubaBaby.

:p

The reason we cant give out plasters is cause many people are allergic to the glue used on plasters!

I had to learn all this when I was working behind a bar on my own incase I had anyone ask for them!!! :)

Originally posted by ScubaBaby
....Thresher mentioned taking medicine from a Rescue Diver or DM....I dont know what the laws are elsewhere but I just wanted to add - if your from the UK or in the UK - DONT!!!!!... However as with most laws, there s loophole! Ask them to buy it off you for a penny and your covered! They brought a product, it was a fair exchange in the eyes of the people involved, and the responsibility is handed to the "patient".

Unless you're medically trained and are prepared to take on a patient and all the legal ramifications, don't go offering medicine - over-the-counter or worse prescription (yes, I've seen this happen). Allergic reactions and other adverse reactions can lead to serious and tragic consequences.

As for the later statement..... hmmm a loophole maybe, and may work in countries where we have a recognized "Good Samaritan" act, but for those counties where it seems "let's sue the guy" is the standard reaction when something goes wrong... I'd be cautious even then.

I just recieved the following from the Quest e-mail group.

============================================
Jonathan Gol was found dead in the basin at Jackson a week ago. He was
not supposed to be diving at all. Since he was diving with a friend and not
with the WKPP, there was nobody to stop him. We had him on medical "leave"
from our operations.

As you all know, a few weeks ago Jonathan picked up a viral infection in
South America that caused him to be hospitalized for a week with brain
swelling, seizures, and a serious infection. He was being treated for all of
that and was told not to dive by his doctor ( I know, I know - that seems
pretty obvious).

Anyway, Jonathan was "feeling" better , his friend said, so he tried a
little test dive at Jackson - 45 minutes total in-water - and he paid with
his life. His friend and paramedics were unable to revive him. We do not
know the rest of the details but will get the coroner's report when
available and hopefully it will contain information that will allow others
from making a mistake like this. My guess is that there is nothing here to
do with his gas since that cave is so shallow and the exposure so short .

Anyway, while this is not really a "cave diving accident" per se, it will be
added to the total body count that is sooner or later going to get us all
booted out of everywhere. I see where the State of Florida banned shark
feeding yesterday, and that has only killed a few people. Don't bet against
the public loosing access to caves sooner or later.

Once again, as Casey says, we know the rules of diving, we need to show some
personal judgment on and off the field.

"Plaster"* = "Band-aid"**

Joewr...not to be confused with, "plastered"...

*in the language loosely described as "English" as used in the UK and various other countries...

**also, "bandaid", "bandage", etc....

it could have lasteing reprecussions........they may ban us from puking in the water as the "shark huggers" might think we are feeding the fishies.......now apparantly in the works to become against the law soon in Florida .............

Question, ............who has puked in rental reg, and them admitted it to the LDS.???????? hehehe some poor begger has had to clean that reg.........

Butch :peace:

Butch:peace:,

You are one sick fellow! And from now on I will be sure to recommend to newbies that the first piece of gear to buy is a reg! Sick, man, just sick!

Joewr...Syruss would never had said that...or would he have....

Fishkiller,
My thoughts exactly! I wonder has Thresher been diving with Warhammer? The Warhammer has been out of the country hasn't he?:tree:Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom