Diving While Sick

How many of you have dived while not feeling well?

• I never dive sick!

Votes: 49 68.1%
  • I'll dive with a cold!

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • I'll dive no matter what i feel like!

Votes: 5 6.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second everyones comments.

But I have a question - does sea-sickness count as being ill?? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by ScubaBaby
But I have a question - does sea-sickness count as being ill?? :rolleyes:

Yes

;-0

I'm green around the gills on the boat and the surface but once I submerge I'm A-Ok. There has been many a time that I've considered staying down so as to forego the boat trip back! I really need to start shore diving - anyone know any good spots in the Thames? :D

amoeba
I really really really hope you are joking about the thames - its just i know some divers wouldnt be........all i can say is eeeekkk!

And as for me diving ill then - yes i do. Cause I know as soon as I am in the water, the contents on my tummy equals out and I am fine!

Belushi fell for me when I was green from seasickness!! The rest of the time I spent asleep from the drugs the doctor gave me - they were suppose to be non-drowsy. But I guess they were to some extent...i wasnt dowsy...just unconcious!!! :D

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
Hit the bar if ya can't dive. :wink:

Mike

I knew I liked you more than your pretty face

Abby as for seasickness - yes I count it as being ill BUT.... if everything settles when you arrive at the site, if that happens - I've gone diving. Even though as Amoeba says, a few feet under and I tend to be a-ok, if I'm at the site and I'm still queezy I've aborted.

For me to dive the Thames the viz would have to increase 100 fold and somebody would have to turn the hot tap on. :D

DG - So long as it is motion sickness I always get in the water, much safer for every one around me. :wink:

Don't do it!

I'm sure you're getting the point. I once did a pool session with a slight cold and boy the pain - never, never again.

Nah! Seasickness doesn't count!! A couple of years ago I went on a trip out of Weymouth with an hours plus steam (can't remember the name of the wreck though) with 2 of us talking to god over the side of the boat. As soon as the skipper gave us the nod, regs in and over the side - we felt much better!! Remember though if the urge continues under water, keep the regs in and feed the fish............

Jonathan

Better off pukin' in the water anyway. :D

Seriously, get off the boat and you'll generally feel better. Diesel fumes and rough seas can be a wicked combo.

Mike

I’d like to request divers experiencing the first signs of diarrhoea while on trips, to please abort all dives for the day. Especially for those of you heading out to Asian dive sites for the first time. Most Asian cooking are spicy, so if you’ve not tried this type of food before, please take in moderation, or avoid altogether if there are other non-spicy dishes available.

I understand that it’s a great way of attracting massive schools of fish, as I’ve witnessed during one of my trips to Malaysia this year. But please, show some consideration towards your fellow divers. I’m not referring so much on hygiene, but to the high level of panic and stress it causes other divers. I have never seen divers swim away with such speed, and most of them weren’t even wearing the new propeller fins. All safety precautions…slow ascend…max depth…slow, deep breaths…care for corals…buddy systems…were thrown out the window in an instant as divers shot away in all directions. This is very dangerous. Fortunately, we all came out unscathed, except for some scratches and bruises while fighting for the shower cubicles.

So please, at the first sign of acute pain in the tummy, sit out the day and rest. Take lots of liquids or try to get some medication from a Rescue Diver or your DM, until you’re tummy is back to normal.

Thresher Shark :p

PS. My apologies to everyone if this seems rather graphic, but it actually happened. I would definitely abort any planned dives in such a condition.

take it that you haven't been introduced to the WARHAMMER maneuver. I'll leave it to the others of the board to show you the proper application adn results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom