What do you use your LDS for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novicediver

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I am not sure how to title this thread or whether the issue has been really addressed. I really don't care to do a search and plus I doubt my question will be answered to my satisfaction anyway by doing said search. So here goes... What would you as a diver most like to see out of your LDS or what value does the LDS have to you? It seems many of you hardcore divers don't really need or use your LDS except for airfills and even then many of you own compressors or use your club's compressor. Many of you have learned to service your own gear so even the repair shop is unnecessary. So the question is what value or purpose does the LDS serve you? Me personally, I just get my air filled since I already have my gear and I have a friend that does most of my servicing in exchange for me buying the beer and steaks.

well, I'm a pretty new diver, so I use my dive shop for lots more than air fills.

1. My dive shop has been great about equipment recommendations and letting me try out said equipment in the pool.

2. My dive shop has a winter skills workshop that helps me become a better diver and keeps my skills fresh, plus I get to meet other divers, and I get to pretend for a few hours that I don't live in a winter wonderland.

3. My dive shop offers trips, both local and more exotic, and offers info on operators, etc.

4. They're just there if I have questions and they offer lots of encouragement.

Fills, VIPs, reg service, purchase of small items that seem to need replacing periodically, like DIN caps and double-enders. I've bought several tanks through them. We also all too frequently use the shop as a drop-off place for stuff, like somebody leaving a piece of gear for somebody else to pick up. It's a social center, too. Our LDS runs some really nice three day trips, too, but I just haven't been able to make the timing work to go on any of them yet.

I use my dive shop for fills and will use them for VIP's and reg service. I got my tanks at my old dive shop....but then they started being petty and childish about things, so I stopped going there. I now get fills at Sport Chalet (if I'm at home) or whatever dive shop is close to the dive sit. I will need to find a shop to do my service in the future, but I've got about six months before I need to worry about that.

Air fills, occasional tank rentals, buckles, snaps, clips, etc.

I used to go there for drugs, but only because I'm dyslexic. Now I go there for religion.

I donÃÕ anymore. When it took them over a month to service my reg. I went out of town. Get better service at a cheaper price.

tanks rental.. no more
scubatoys et al for everything else

For a while, when I was addicted to buying and refurbishing old Dacor regs, I'd get some parts off of the reg man there. I had them do a yearly on my present regs but they screwed that up. There are a couple of shops in Columbus which probably are in the same category. Since I get my fills at the fire station and buy most of the junk off of Ebay or the Internet I really don't have any reason to deal with any of them.

I go there number one to talk scuba and sit around. Then for fills, sometimes a tank rental, support, shirts, little items, and even some big items when there is a blow out sale.

Back
Top Bottom