Equipments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, probably it is too much. I think 5mm should be good enough for where and when I am diving right ? I dive mostly in the summer, but sometimes I dive during the winter or other times in the year. It's either Southeast Asia or somewhere in the US.

Hi NNS,

This is just my experience.. and my personal opinions. Take them at how much you paid for them. Almost everything works fine, and almost everything will work fine for almost every dive.

WETSUITS
I suggest going with thinner suits, and buying layers of them...

Keep in mind that your body loses the most heat through the head, then the hands, then the feet, then the lower back (kidneys)...

I was certified in Tennessee in November. Air temp was in the 40F-50F range. Water temp was about 70F above 25 feet, and upper 60s F below 25 feet. I trained in a 5 mm shorty that was too loose for me, and froze my bum off

I knew I would be dividing my diving between Virginia/Tennesse, Florida, and the Caribbean. So I went the hikers way.. layering... I ended up buying a Bare 5/4 (5 mm torso, 4mm arms and legs), a 1mm hooded vest, a 3mm hooded vest, 1mm gloves, and 5mm gloves. This allowed me to adjust my layers to suit conditions.

In Bonaire (near the equator, bathwater temps), I tried diving in trunks and a tshirt. I got sunburned and I was cold after 3 dives. I ended up diving the 5/4 and the 1mm vest.. that helped keep me from getting sunburned, prevented jelly fish stings, and kept me comfortable for 5+ dives a day. If I got a little warm.. I just pulled the neck down and flushed the suit a little.

Diving in the Florida Springs.. water temp is always about 72 degrees. The 5/4 with 5mm hooded vest and 5mm gloves keeps me comfy for 70 minute dive.. I am a little chilly toward the end of 90 minute dives.

MASKS
Go to dive shops.. try on masks WITH A REGULATOR IN YOUR MOUTH. (The shape of your lips changes with a regulator in... which can cause masks to leak even if they fit properly without a mask...)

When you find one that fits, buy that EXACT MASK.. or ask to try on a brand new version of that mask.. Sometimes there are inconstancies in the way the silicone skirts cured. I recommend buying *two* masks that fit.. so when one gives up the ghost, you have another and you can start looking for a new one.. I ended up with 3 Cressi Minima's.. I HIGHLY prefer the black silicone skirt to the clear silicone skirt.

FINS
As for fins.. I like Scubapro Jet fins best.. but I almost only use the frog kick.. and I have strong legs.. I am going to buy a pair of Zeagle EZ Travel fins at some point and try them.. just for the advantages of travel.. if they don't work for me.. I will probably go to OMS Slipstream. They are the same style as the Jet Fins, but weigh less.

REGULATORS
Regs,.. they all work..
Depending on your budget and needs. I dive with two tanks when I get the chance,.. and I like to travel. I plan on doing more travel where airline weight limits are very low. So I just worked out a deal on two titanium regulators.

If weight isn't a problem for you.. find a regulator that you can get serviced where you dive.. If I recall correctly, I have seen Oceanic, ScubaPro, and Aqualung all in Tennessee, Florida, Mexico and Bonaire. I personally started with DiveRite,.. Tried Poseidon, and just bought a pair of Atomic Aquatics from Scubatoys.

The product links below are all for Scubatoys,.. they get about half of my business (My LDSs get the other half), and I think they still give 10% off if you tell them you are a ScubaBoard member (call and make sure :D).. They will also work with you to setup a package deal.

I have also done business with a would recommend divegearexpress.com, diverightinscuba.com, and divesports.com. I spoke with scubabasics.com on the Black Friday sale, and they seemed nice enough, but I made a better deal with ST. I have done business with and would not recommend scuba.com - I had problems with a few orders with them.

The Oceanic NEO with their little dry valve gimmick (to keep the inside of your reg dry when you rinse it.. dust caps dont work great)... is on sale now for $400 Oceanic NEO DVT Regulator reviews and discounts, Oceanic

If your heart is set on Mares, the Prestige MR12 is on sale for $200 Mares Prestige 12 Regulator reviews and discounts, Mares

BCDS
As for BCDs.. I don't use jackets, and I only use my Backplate/wing set up on the surface.. I have an 18 pound travel wing from Oxycheq.. and I think I am moving to a 12 pound lift 'Super Scooter 12' wing from DSS.. Get what you are comfortable with.

COMPUTERS
Dive computers - Get something cheap that 1) works with Nitrox, and 2) that you can silence the blasted audible alarms. I have an wrist computer... everytime I raise my arm to look at it, the ascent alarm goes off.. I have it silenced, but my log downloads look like a Christmas Tree.. so many alarms flashing :wink:

IF you know you will ALWAYS dive air.. Scubatoys has an Air computer on sale for $150 Oceanic VEO 100 Wrist Computer reviews and discounts, Oceanic

Other than being a customer, I am not affiliated with any of the retailers or manufacturers listed above. My opinions are biased by my experiences and personal preferences.

Thats about it, feel free to ask me any questions you may have,

Scott

Yeah, probably it is too much. I think 5mm should be good enough for where and when I am diving right ? I dive mostly in the summer, but sometimes I dive during the winter or other times in the year. It's either Southeast Asia or somewhere in the US.
"somewhere in the US" does not tell anything about temperature. There is diving in a wide range of temps in the US. Even in just Florida the temp can vary a lot with the time of year. "Temperate" is not much more specific.

If you will be diving in a wide range of temperatures and try to get one suit for everything, you may find you're not comfortable anywhere. You might find you need more than one suit, or need to think about layering.

Ow, thank you for your detail response. I guess, I will not care for BCDs, Regs, and Computers for now. I want to get a good wetsuit and basic gears first. As I have been scanning all the websites for the last couple of days. I have found some products that "seem" good. Unfortunately, there is not any shop near where I live so I cannot come in and try on whatever I like. Thus, you guys' opinions will be so helpful.

Now, I have "undone" myself from the whole Mares thing to open myself up to other options. I have found some great stuffs like: Waterproof Aries or Lynx, Henderson H2, Scubapro Everflex. Any comments on these suits ?

As for masks, I have found Sherwood Rona, which is cheaper than Mares Essence Liquidskin.

Fin is a tough choice also. I have heard a lot of great comments on Scubapro JetFins but it seems a pretty heavy duty one. I think I might want to go for something a bit lighter.

If you have to buy your mask through an internet store, make sure they have an easy to understand and liberal return policy! :) I went through four or five masks before I found one that fit well on me.

I am thinking ordering through scuba.com. It seems to have a good returning policy. Do you know any other sites ?

As for suits and fins, any suggestions ? As I mentioned above, I am considering Waterproof Aries or Lynx, Henderson H2 (5or7), Scubapro Everflex (5or7).

Since you're only in the market for a wetsuit right now, I'd suggest the Scubapro Hyperstretch. Very comfortable, lots of stretch. It's also very warm for the conditions I dive wetsuits in. Mine is the 6.5mm. For some reason the Hyperstretch is measured differently. As you can see based on my location, it get's cold here, so I usually dive my drysuit. But the Hyperstretch does a good job in temperate (60F-70F) water. Just keep your velcro from rubbing the material too much cause the material does bind with the hook part of the velcro. For fins I like the Twin Jets also. A good mask is the one that best fits you. Follow the advice above about trying them out before you buy.

Do you mean the Henderson Hyperstretch because I cannot find any Scubapro Hyperstretch?

So I have been doing some research all over. It has come down to this

Wetsuit: Waterproof Aries or Lynx, Henderson H2 5mm or 7mm. So I am still struggling deciding whether to go for 5mm or 7mm. I understand that I dive over a great range of tempt so that I need to do layers. However, will a 7mm be too thick for South East Asia water? will 5mm with hood be warm enough for South East Asia water at 130ft ?

I will get the 6.5mm boot if I go with Waterproof, or the H2 5mm boot if I go with Henderson.

Mask: I think I will go with Sherwood Rona, as long as it fits me. This is a gut feeling since I cannot try it on till I receive my order. However, I have a medium face, do you guys think it will be ok then ?

Fins: any specific recommendation for a good combination of power and maneuverability ? Should I go with split or traditional fin?

I have done business with and would not recommend scuba.com - I had problems with a few orders with them.

For what its worth, I just got a PM from Scuba.com apologizing and asking for my order numbers to follow-up and figure out what happened to cause the errors... so it looks like their quality control may have improved..

-Scott

Back
Top Bottom