Equipments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nns91

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys,

I am going to buy my first set of gears this Christmas. However, I still need some suggestions.

For wetsuit, I kinda set my mind on Mares Trilastic 8-6-5. However, I am wondering that if it is much thicker than the 5-4-3 version ? I know it's a 2mm difference but how big of a difference it is in term of warmth ? I am 5'7", 125 lbs so I should go for small right ?

For boots, I am hesitating between the 5mm Classic Boots and the 5mm Trilastic Boots, which one should I go for ? I wear 8.5-9 normal size shoes. What size should I get for diving boots ?

For fins, I am considering Raptors and Excel+ (I want to try split fin but not sure, any comment on this?). However, I don't know which size I should get. Should I get Small (6-9) or Medium (9-11) ?

For masks, is an Essence Liquidskin a good choice ?

Any other products that you guys think a better choice will be helpful

what's your fasination with Mares? sure they're Mask are pretty comfortable but pretty much everything else, not so much. even then you have to try them on to find the ones that are comfortable for you. As a $5 mask that fits is infinitely better than a $100 mask that pinches or leaks

wetsuits- Xcel, Henderson, or Pinnacle are the top equipment on the market right now. and there is a huge difference between a 5 and 8mm suit.

Thanks for your response.

Not that I am fascinated by Mares or anything, just that the dive club where I dove with last summer had all the Mares stuffs. Plus, I am assuming that Mares has a big prestige on the market. However, I am open to everything, as long as they are good.

So I dive most of the time in temperate water. However, I want to get a suit that is pretty much good for most of the situations. Thus, do you think a 5mm is good enough ? Will it still be warm enough going down to around 130ft ? Do you have any specific product on mind that I should take a look at ?

Hi guys,

I am going to buy my first set of gears this Christmas. However, I still need some suggestions.

For wetsuit, I kinda set my mind on Mares Trilastic 8-6-5. However, I am wondering that if it is much thicker than the 5-4-3 version ? I know it's a 2mm difference but how big of a difference it is in term of warmth ? I am 5'7", 125 lbs so I should go for small right ?

Hi, nns - Isn't it fun to consider you first gear!! :)

I am by no means an expert in anything, but I can tell you about warmth. What temperature is "cold" to you? Can you sit in an office at 72* ad not be chilled? Do you wear shorts and a tee shirt in temps in the 60's? If both are true, you could probably go with the lessor one. You sound like my son, which is what I am basing this on.

For me, it is 2mm per 5 degrees. Most people find a 7mm a bit of a PITA to put on.

Bottom line - go find an LDS and try them on. I bought what sould have been a perfect suit for me, but it seems some do not cut their suits for women that have waists.

Oh yeah, It's been a fun process.

So you think a 5mm should be good for temperate water even when I go deep to like 130ft ? Any specific product you want to suggest ?

It's hard for me to try on anything now since I do not live anywhere near a shop. I won't be able to do so until I come home next summer. However, I still want to get the stuffs now since I do not have that many choices when I get back home.

You are mentioning a depth but you haven't said what months of the year or the location of where you will be diving. Some times at 130' it is the same temp. as the surface sometimes its colder. I don't like 5mil or 7mil suits personally but I think a 5mil is kinda useless even though a 7mil is harder to get on. If its too cold for a 3mil I want a drysuit but thats just me. I have dove a 7 mil a few times and personally I get cold when the water gets colder than 60 in one. As for your mask get one that is comfortable and doesn't leak. Don't worry about the brand. The only wetsuits I'm familiar with are Scubapro and Henderson. Both are fairly expensive but they are good suits. Not sure about Mares.

I dive mostly in the summer, but sometimes I dive during the winter or other times in the year. It's either Southeast Asia or somewhere in the US.

Which Henderson or Scubapro suit would you recommend me ?

Which Henderson or Scubapro suit would you recommend me ?

I like them both. Quality is good on both of them. I like the everflex from scubapro alittle more but it just fits me better.

I am looking at the Henderson H2 5mm and Scubapro Everflex 5mm. From the reviews, both suits sound like they are at excellent quality. Now it's hard to choose.

Let's switch gear to fins, any recommendation on this ?

Hi guys,

For boots, I am hesitating between the 5mm Classic Boots and the 5mm Trilastic Boots, which one should I go for ? I wear 8.5-9 normal size shoes. What size should I get for diving boots ?

For fins, I am considering Raptors and Excel+ (I want to try split fin but not sure, any comment on this?). However, I don't know which size I should get. Should I get Small (6-9) or Medium (9-11) ?

For masks, is an Essence Liquidskin a good choice ?

Any other products that you guys think a better choice will be helpful

Where and when are you diving? An 8-6-5 is a really warm wet suit. While I am a rather warm blooded person and only dive water +65F, I'd die of heat exhaustion in something with 8mm. Also keep in mind when going with a thicker suit than you need you also have to increase weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom