Panasonic Lumix TZ7/ZS3 with u/w case DMW-MCTZ7 HD VIDEO test results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just say what a fantastic thread on the Panasonic ZS3...

We bought our's in Nov for our Mexico trip and my wife just bought me the OEM UW housing for our nest trip in Feb 2010.

All the posted videos and pictures of what this camera is capable of doing UW has really made me happy with our purchase.

Cheers.

PS... when will they add a Panasonic sub-forum?

thanks for the great thread. I'm expecting my ZS3 for Christmas (thanks, Honey, for ASKING what I'd like) and the housing is on the way too. Getting 2 or 3 dives per battery isn't too bad, all things considered. Especially pretty good when using the flash a lot for macro. Is anyone using any of the batteries other than OEM? Heard about the problem with compatibility issues with the Panasonics.

Bestbatt.com claims these replacements (BestBatt.com - DMW-BCG10 Li-Ion Rechargeable Digital Camera Battery (For All Firmware Versions) for Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 DMC-ZS1 DMC-ZS3 DMC-ZX1 DMC-TZ6 DMC-TZ7 )are compatible with all firmware versions. But can you get the same life out of a charge? I'd had some problems with non-OEM batteries for my Canon SD750 dying quickly. I'll pay the exorbitant price ($50) for Panasonic batteries if they are really that much better than other replacements ($17).

All you divers who already have the ZS3 please keep the tips & hints coming. Need all the help I can get.

I'm looking at the 10bar...

Wanted to follow up, am really concerned about the battery life issue. I've read elsewhere on the general camera reviews that the OEM battery is good for around an hour of video, or 90 minutes of photos. Doesn't seem like a lot given dives can be 40-50 minutes depending on where you're at.

Would love to hear more about everyone's real world observations on battery life.

it will last that long if your on continous focus which is the default.
if you turn it off, battery should be double what you mentioned for photos and around 50% longer for videos.
you can also put the camera on sleep mode, it will turn of the lcd and optics after a set number of minutes. it will wake-up when u press the shutter or move the lens knob. that should further increase battery time.
in short, with these features enabled your battery battery should last at least 3 dives. mine does and i dont even switch off continous focus.
hope that helps

I get two dives (a little under 60 minutes each) with the battery meter still showing 3 bars at the end. I do have power save mode on though so the screen blanks and eventually the camera switches off if I don't shoot any video. I do not shoot video continuously though, just clips throughout the dive.

I got a spare battery (Panasonic) on ebay for AUS$40 including shipping. That's about US$35. That's as cheap as I can get a generic for here and at the time I got it the generics wouldn't work with the upgraded firmwear anyway.

Well, the wife bought me a ZS3 for Christmas, after seeing this thread I ordered the case and I suppose it's time to retire my 18 year old Nikonos :D

Anybody know if I can use my '105 strobe as a slave to supplement the built in one?

Thanks guys. As of Christmas morning, looks like I'm part of the ZS3 club as well. Just gotta get a dive trip scheduled to start using this thing UW....

as an underwater vidcam the zs3 excels. its the best video point and shoot out there and id dare say as good as some 720p dedicated vidcams.
as a camera it is very good. it isnt full manual but you do get iso, min shutter speed, exposure, white balance, multiaspect, bracketing. the only thing lacking is aperture control really. you really have to go through the manual to see what it is capable doing.
i shoot the camera in vivid mode and with iso set to 80 or 100 in manual mode for bright/daylight settings. i shoot almost everything else topside in iA mode which i think is one of the best auto settings.
u/w i shoot u/w mode for reef shots without a strobe. with a strobe i shoot manual with minimun shutter of 1/125 and iso 100. this is also the settings i use for fish action shots w/strobe. for macro i use the same manual settings or go to iA. i never use u/w mode for macro as there is usually enough of a light source to bring out true colors.
to improve battery life, turn off continuous focusing and get around double the battery life.
the zs3 has a leica lens and has 2 image processors which makes it capable of shooting 720p avchd and shooting stills with an almost hdr-like effect. it handles lens flares very well - try shooting your dive buddy against the sun the next time you dive and you will see what i mean.
but just like any piece of new tech, the user has to learn the camera and read the manual, however poorly written it is.
a lot of complaints about the camera could have been addressed by just reading the manual.

well just my 2psi.
cheers

Bob, Panasonic should be paying you commission for pushing this amazing little cam : )

Bought yesterday (because of you), played with it topside, video is amazing

cons though (but the pros outweigh the cons by a ton)
(2Cents from a former g series Canon user)

1. Stock Panny DMW-MCTZ7 u/w housing upper right knob (shifting from Ai to cam mode, and other modes knob) slightly difficult to turn since only quarter of the knob exterior groove exposed, tendency to slide and I suspect internal grooves in time will smoothen out, rendering that knob useless- but, its a secondary knob though, as you may choose to set cam at ai mode during pre-dive

2. Panning a bit torpid, subject looses focus unlike canon g series which has faithful focus during panned shots (i've yet to try it u/w though, and have to update firmware, is there an effect? ...) still playing with it though,

3. This cam could have added more manual controls, but then, if would be a lx3 or a gf1...I mean, for a cam this good, its gonna loose lots of supposed potential customers who like a semi slr feel, felt awkward at first having no control over shutter and aperture (ala canon g series), I stand corrected u can choose shutter speed but not in the way you want (or maybe its just me) ..yet has a myriad of other scene effects/functions, in a way, its a confused camera for me, more than a point and shoot, less than a high end cam and definitely no slr..

but at the end of the day, its the final output (pic/videos) and pricepoint which are important and zs3/TZ7 wins handsdown vs the canon g series and other u/w cams out there. Evie had great shots at PG last weekend, even Mark of Sea Rider was surprised with how vibrant, crisp and clear the pics were.

already booked for Nha Trang this wkend, lets see how my tz7 performs:)

Back
Top Bottom