Panasonic Lumix TZ7/ZS3 with u/w case DMW-MCTZ7 HD VIDEO test results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ei jun

welcome to the dark side :)
however if you looked thru this thread or read the manual you will see that most of your points have been discussed.
1. the knob is indeed a pita to use
2. changing the settings of auto focus will fix this. the g series doesnt optically focus on videos and therefore doesnt have this 'issue'
3. the camera has almost everything manual excpet apperture. you can change iso, shutter speed, exposure, wb, multiaspect, brakceting, and so much more. you really have to read the manual if you wanna make full use of the camera.
cheers on your new toy and hope to dive with ya soon man

Hi, I like your photos. My diving friend just told me that still picture mode doesn't have the underwater mode, only the video mode. Can you tell me a little bit about that. I just ordered a zs3 and I hope I made the right decision

hi petel
both the video and picture mode have the underwater setting.
dont worry you made the right choice
:)

jsut be sure to go through the manual to use your camera to its fool potential

Thanks for the input. I am waiting for my camera order to ship. Once I get it, I will buy the housing. Are you using a strobe? Also, do you know if you can attach a red filter to the camera or the housing?

Bob, Panasonic should be paying you commission for pushing this amazing little cam : )

Bought yesterday (because of you), played with it topside, video is amazing

cons though (but the pros outweigh the cons by a ton)
(2Cents from a former g series Canon user)

1. Stock Panny DMW-MCTZ7 u/w housing upper right knob (shifting from Ai to cam mode, and other modes knob) slightly difficult to turn since only quarter of the knob exterior groove exposed, tendency to slide and I suspect internal grooves in time will smoothen out, rendering that knob useless- but, its a secondary knob though, as you may choose to set cam at ai mode during pre-dive

2. Panning a bit torpid, subject looses focus unlike canon g series which has faithful focus during panned shots (i've yet to try it u/w though, and have to update firmware, is there an effect? ...) still playing with it though,

3. This cam could have added more manual controls, but then, if would be a lx3 or a gf1...I mean, for a cam this good, its gonna loose lots of supposed potential customers who like a semi slr feel, felt awkward at first having no control over shutter and aperture (ala canon g series), I stand corrected u can choose shutter speed but not in the way you want (or maybe its just me) ..yet has a myriad of other scene effects/functions, in a way, its a confused camera for me, more than a point and shoot, less than a high end cam and definitely no slr..

but at the end of the day, its the final output (pic/videos) and pricepoint which are important and zs3/TZ7 wins handsdown vs the canon g series and other u/w cams out there. Evie had great shots at PG last weekend, even Mark of Sea Rider was surprised with how vibrant, crisp and clear the pics were.

already booked for Nha Trang this wkend, lets see how my tz7 performs:)

Finally, Ur a convert to Pana ZS3! Congrats on ur new purchase Jun!
Tsamba my shots last weekend. But im very very happy w/ my cam & case.
Bob! Lets set our PG trip soon!!

Thanks for the input. I am waiting for my camera order to ship. Once I get it, I will buy the housing. Are you using a strobe? Also, do you know if you can attach a red filter to the camera or the housing?

hi petel
there is really no need for a red filter in most modern cameras like the lumix. you can do the following:
adjust the white balance manually
leave white balance in auto
use underwater mode

those take the place of a red filter and will give you better results actually.
i use an intova strobe but i havent been able to use it extensively with my zs3 yet.

btw i have firmware version 1.2 in my zs3 ... im not quite sure but i think 1.2 produces more vivid u/w videos/pictures compared to a 1.1

Finally, Ur a convert to Pana ZS3! Congrats on ur new purchase Jun!
Tsamba my shots last weekend. But im very very happy w/ my cam & case.
Bob! Lets set our PG trip soon!!

ei evie
pg soon for sure

after a lot of comparison and reading this post I got the Pana ZS3 for Christmas (thanks, honey). Now, anybody know where the housing is available, not on backorder, in the US?

Wickedinnit - Been through this thread (which is great) and wanted to inquire about Muvee Reveal 8 - I went to the wesite and downloaded the trial version, but when I went to import my video it advised that since it was HD I had to buy the full version.

WICKED INNIT

Here is my situation - I have a Canon Vixia HF100 and have attempted to utilize Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Edition. Too complicated for me. All I want to do, to begin with, is transfer my video to DVD (later on I'll think about editing). Should I make the plunge and purchase the full version of Muvee Reveal 8?

Thanks for the input and you do GREAT work!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom