Panasonic Lumix TZ7/ZS3 with u/w case DMW-MCTZ7 HD VIDEO test results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can someone tell me how many minutes of HD Video recording time can be stored on a 8GB card?

I'm trying to figure out if I should buy a 16gb Class 6, or 2 8GB cards. I usually only do 2 dives per day and would like to avoid changing cards between dives.

8 gb gives you +/- 50 min in ACVHD mode, and 12-15 min if hd motion jpeg mode (inclusive give or take 50 9mp pics)

best results if set to- 1. scn 2. select 'underwater scn' to shoot pics and video,... ai mode and normal mode gives awful pics/videos even if you set wb...

did 4 dives this wkend and heres the vid, YouTube - HD Dive Nha Trang 2010 (Lumix TZ7 UW Video)

the turtle (start vid) and cave shots (almost close to 1:50) in 'scn-underwater' mode were 'as is where is' shots,.... the others (nudis, leaf fish, fire dartfish) used ai and normal pic mode, had to edit wb, contrast, color in i-movie

Battery life a bit disappointing, can do full 2 dives only (turning on off cam in between pics and video, I estimate batttery life if video continuous 45-50 min only... maybe..)

happy shooting :)

Last edited:
Jun Lao,
Thanks for the info. I just ordered ZS3 and OEM case on Friday. I'm hoping I made the right decission. Since I placed my order, I've looked at a lot of pics and vid. Most seem just a bit out of focus. Vid focus seems to hunt quite a bit. Maybe just YouTube and not in the original source files. Anyone else noticing this?

Are you pleased with your choice in getting the ZS3?

there is a minimum of focus drift when the camera zooms in and out.
however this can be corrected by the procedure shown here:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 / ZS3 video review: High Definition | Cameralabs
drift can also be caused by twitchy hands, panning the camera abruptly while zooming, etc. for me personally, its a non-issue

at 8gb sdhc you will be able to record at least 50min of avchd (it is rated at 60 min for 8gb sd)

the camera also has an auto 'sleepmode' after a set number of minutes and it instantly wakes up after pressing any button. i have been able to use my zs3 with pics and videos for 3 dives with battery to spare.
of course if you shoot continous videos, youll get much less, but then again youd be better off with an u/w videocamera if youre gonna do this

Last edited:
Not too pleased....

I've taken over 200 photos so far with the new ZS3. One thing I've noticed it that it is terrible in anything but bright sunlight. Lots of noise at all ISO levels Even then, the colors are all washed out. I've taken duplicate pictures with an old Canon A95 with only 5MP set in auto mode and nearly every picture comes out better on the A95. I've tried nearly every combination of settings on the ZS3 and it just doesn’t look as clear, crisp or true to color. Its sad when an old 5MP A95 takes better pictures. I know its NOT my camera because I have also compared with other ZS3s. Unless someone can help me get better photographs out of this camera, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they are after the video. Even then, I can't really recommend it for the video because I haven't personally tested it against any comparable camera.

I took a series of 20 different pictures in the desert today. It was overcast. I thought it presented a very good test environment. At any ISO above 100, the ZS3 shows a considerable amount of noise. Contrast seems a bit high and detail is washed out especially noticable in the gravel on the dirt road. The A95 on the other hand, even in fully automatic mode, outperformed the ZS3 by a long shot.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

the zs3 is not as sharp as my older canon 790 but it has more vivid colors.
iA mode works perfectly for me. ive had no issues with sharpness or color even in poor light. although you will get the usual noise above iso 200.
what firmware are you using. i have firmware 1.2 and works great for me.

I have firmware 1.2 as well. Another thing I've noticed - I have a woven Christmas tapistry hanging on a wall. Without using the flash, the colors are all washed out - red appears very drab if not almost black. This is when using IA, Normal Mode, or any of the SCNs.

If anyone is getting good results with this camera, I'd sure like to know EXACTLY what ALL of the settings are for the particular shot at hand.

In normal mode -
Picture Size 10m
quality: high
Aspect ratio: 4:3 (also shooting 16:9)
Intelligent ISO: OFF (have also tried with it on)
ISO Sensitivity: Auto (Have also tried setting 80 through 400 so far)
White Balance: AWB (I've also manually balanced to try to get more realistic color)
Face Recog: OFF
AF Mode: Depending on situation have selected multi, single, spot, face, etc...)
PRE AF: Off
Metering Mode (*) - have also tried ( )
I.EXPOSURE: OFF (I haven't seen much difference with it on or off)
BURST: OFF
DIGITAL ZOOM: OFF
COLOR MODE: Standard - but I've tried them all. Vivid may be a bit better, not sure
STABILIZER: Mode2
MIN SHTR SPEED 1/8 is default (maybe play with this a bit more)
AUDIO REC: OFF
AF ASSIST LAMP: OFF

rab - have you taken duplicate pictures with a different camera under the exact conditions and compared them with the ZS3? That's what I should have never done......

yes i have compared t to my canon. and the canon is sharper but the zs3 has more vivid pics.
i dont have my camera right now but i have it on highest quality 1//125 iso80 vivid pre aff:eek:n. i forget the metering mode and focus/stabilization settings. ill check later.
try choosing a different metering and focus mode.
ive also tried shooting grains of rice, insects and such as practive for u/w macro and the results were good on my part...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom