Incapacitated while diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TayzGpa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My girlfriend and I are planning a dive trip (her first) to Coz in June. One of her concerns is what happens if she is in some sort of accident (non-fatal) and is unable to make medical decisions for herself while in a foreign country (like Mexico). I am sure they will try and contact her next-of-kin at some point, but sometimes in a life or death situation, time is critical. She wants me to be able to take action on her behalf so should we get a medical power of attorney before leaving or how should we best handle that?

My suggestion, spend more time diving than riding scooters. :wink:

If you are really going to do a medical power of attorney, you should get it prepared by a Mexican lawyer, in Spanish. Otherwise, it might not be valid in Mexico. On the other hand, what most people do is just not worry about it, because there are an infinite number of things that could happen to you anyway, and you can't plan for all of them.

You could get married and be her next of kin, solving the problem.

Your girlfriend may be way more intelligent than you give her credit for, just my opinion.

Bob

Needless worry. She stands a far great chance of serious injury while abroad with chaotic vehicle travel. Besides, you are not traveling to Ice Station Zebra. Just dial her parents from your cell phone and hand to the doctor in charge should the need arise. Sorry for the sarcasm...

You really worry about this? Are you both healthy? Under 60? Diarrhea is your biggest worry--bring some lomotil.

My girlfriend and I are planning a dive trip (her first) to Coz in June. One of her concerns is what happens if she is in some sort of accident (non-fatal) and is unable to make medical decisions for herself while in a foreign country (like Mexico). I am sure they will try and contact her next-of-kin at some point, but sometimes in a life or death situation, time is critical. She wants me to be able to take action on her behalf so should we get a medical power of attorney before leaving or how should we best handle that?

Although I've never had a medical emergency in Mexico, I suspect that if she has a credit card, she would get appropriate medical treatment.

Terry

Luckily you are not going to Bonaire where they will steal everything you own before you can find a taxi to leave the airport.

I am assuming that you both have DAN or another suitable dive insurance so you really don't have anything to worry about.

I agree with what was said about injuries due to vehicular accidents.

It also happens to be true that most "accidents" happen in the home, especially in the bathtub.

Although I've never had a medical emergency in Mexico, I suspect that if she has a credit card, she would get appropriate medical treatment.

Bob DBF. She chose your answer as the best. Thanks. You'll be the first invited to the wedding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom