Incapacitated while diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You really worry about this? Are you both healthy? Under 60? Diarrhea is your biggest worry--bring some lomotil.
OMG!!!
let me repeat that...
OMG!!!

Says she who will NEVER and I mean NEVER step foot in Cozumel ever again after experiencing the Cozumel Quick Weight Loss Diet. Which, by the way, is absolutey NO FREAKIN' FUN on the plane ride back home nor the bus ride back to the dive shop nor the car ride back home nor the eight days of suffering and daily doctor visits after. :shocked2:

I'll take a scooter crash over the Cozumel Trots any day. :shakehead:

I'd suggest getting a DAN membership if you don't already have one, that will help in case of any medical diving emergency, especially if the chamber is involved.

when you arrive, most dive ops will have you fill out what amounts to a waver form, this usually asks for an emergency contact, we usually use one of my wife's sisters or her best friend back home.

if a "life or death" situation happens, and she and/or you can't make a medical decision, it won't matter if there is a next of kin, power of attorney or whatever protection measures you have taken, because time will be of essence and making any of those phone calls will be mute. the medical staff will have to make the call then and there.

Long and short of it is, get whatever insurance you feel you need in advance, study your dive books, make sure your equipment is in good working order and be prepared to do safe dives, let the dive op and DM's know your experience level, and of any concerns you have about types of dives you want to do; i.e. if you don't want to go too deep, you don't like swim-thrus, stuff like that, they will be more than accomodating to make sure you have a good time.

...and like a young man down there once told my wife when we were in a slight panic to make a scheduled snorkel trip on time, "...relax lady, you're on vacation!" :D

I thought the question was quite reasonable and was surprised at all the sarcasm. Dive accidents certainly do happen in Coz waters. We don't hear about many with that sort of news being suppressed as bad for business, and when we do they're in the Accidents forum usually - not here, but they happen. Plus they are newbies I think. While accidents are rare, it's good to have a plan - just like wearing seat belts and home smoke alarms & fire extinguishers altho the latter aren't as common as they should be.

Half the time I go there alone, half the time with my home bud, but he doesn't have any powers. I have the top DAN plan (make sure you have at least the middle one, not the cheapest which is only $10 cheaper than middle but a real dog), wear a DAN tag on my BC and a Dog tag on my neck with my DAN info and next of kin info. In the unlikely event that I cannot communicate my preferences, I just hope that they'll treat me anyway. From the accidents I have seen there, it seems as long as you have DAN, you're okay for treatment, and I think the dive ops have contracts with the chambers. Would have been nice to see knowledgeable info here. :idk:

BTW Tayz, hire a private DM the first day to help y'all learn how to drift dive and board safely. Money well spent, and not expensive. Most common mistake I see is removing the regulator on the surface instead of on the boat, but there are others possible.

Some really good info for visitors at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html altho I will admit that I don't take it all seriously, like declaring extra cameras, altho that might be a good idea.

Have a great trip... :pilot:

Last edited:
I think part of the problem is that no one here knows. My GUESS is that if she needs some sort of urgent care they will provide it and not care about the next of kin thing.

I suppose you could both agree to claim to be married if this situation should arise?

I would certainly have DAN membership and insurance.

If you really want a good answer, you should probably get in touch with the U.S. Consular Agent on Cozumel or the Consulate in Merida. Consulates and their agents deal with this kind of stuff all the time.

If you are really going to do a medical power of attorney, you should get it prepared by a Mexican lawyer, in Spanish. Otherwise, it might not be valid in Mexico. On the other hand, what most people do is just not worry about it, because there are an infinite number of things that could happen to you anyway, and you can't plan for all of them.

JohnB47 Is right on the money I carry a medical power of attorney in the states and Mexico they both say the exact same thing but one country does not recognize the other. If you feel you need it an U.S. one will not work here.

I have to agree I wouldn't worry about it all that much. You can start the process if something happens and get on the phone to the states in a flash.

Or as suggested Marry her.:D

I've seen 4 divers leave by ambulance in Coz over the years, 3 unconscious until treated - but they were treated. Proof of DAN insurance seemed to be the most important factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom