Incapacitated while diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Power of Attorney?

Do you go on holiday anywhere else in the world? What do you do in those situations?

You're more likely getting hit by a bus or car than you are suffering non-fatal life threatening injuries while diving.

I know you have to think about a lot of things before going abroad, but in my opinion, I think this maybe a bit excessive.

Diving is not dangerous as long as you follow your training and dive within your limits.

Relax, chill and enjoy your holiday.

You're more likely getting hit by a bus or car than you are suffering non-fatal life threatening injuries while diving.
You see claims like that posted, but does anyone have any real information to support such?

I just cannot remember seeing anyone hit by a vehicle in any of my trips, but with less than 400 dives - I've seen 6 divers leave by ambulance, 4 unconscious. The good news is that they were treated without delays, without waiting to find next of kin. In the US at least, even First Responders are taught that if you ask the person if you can help, and the victim cannot reply - consent is implied. You're in Mexico; is that the case there?

To err on the side of caution in diving is preferable, and I think the question was reasonable. I don't think there is a problem, but I do prefer realistic answers.

TayzGpa, I don't think you need a medical power of attorney, but if you want one - get a Spanish speaking friend to help you find one one the internet. Translate it yourself on a translation site or with google, then complete it for each. Or don't; I often travel alone with my DAN insurance obvious and hope for the best, sticking close to my buddy or DM.
Have a great trip. :pilot:

Just make sure neither of you wear split fins and no one will get hurt:D

You see claims like that posted, but does anyone have any real information to support such? I just cannot remember seeing anyone hit by a vehicle in any of my trips,

It doesn't change anything, but since you asked, I know of several instances of tourists being injured and killed driving Hwy 307 between Tulum and Cancun. I think it happens less now than a few years ago, but I am sure it still happens.

I am sure a number of Cozumel tourists who rent those scooters make hospital trips each year.

It doesn't change the analysis, or the value of DAN coverage...just a response to your question. I suspect there is usually more risk of injury in the diving and related activities than being in an auto accident, assuming you are the typical dive traveler and spend more time diving than driving.

Our home in Coz is just off 11th and at 15th and 30th there are traffic circles that are a CONSTANT source of bicycle, scooter and vehicle collisions. Some involve tourists.

I was in an accident there last year. I was conscious but in shock. I called a Spanish speaking friend who came over, called an ambulance, and took care of everything the hospital needed. I just handed over my credit card to my friend and signed whatever was put in front of me after he had read it (was all in Spanish). I carried out-of-country insurance which I claimed against when I got home because it was just about impossible to connect the insurer with the Mexican surgeon. I think you should be prepared to pay up front if it's a non-diving accident. No one seemed very concerned about power of attorney (maybe because I was semi-conscious) but they took their cue from Jeremy and his wife as the most proficient people speaking their native tongue. Hope this is helpful.

It doesn't change anything, but since you asked, I know of several instances of tourists being injured and killed driving Hwy 307 between Tulum and Cancun. I think it happens less now than a few years ago, but I am sure it still happens.

I am sure a number of Cozumel tourists who rent those scooters make hospital trips each year.

It doesn't change the analysis, or the value of DAN coverage...just a response to your question. I suspect there is usually more risk of injury in the diving and related activities than being in an auto accident, assuming you are the typical dive traveler and spend more time diving than driving.
Oh yes, I know that accidents happen with tourists, especially with mopeds, but I question if injuries/driving-hours is greater than injuries/diving-hours. Scuba is a potentially dangerous sport that we try to manage safely. I don't set a good example in the water, but I try to share reasonable info and suggestions here. :eyebrow:

My theory is that DAN insurance and a credit card with plenty of headroom will get you through most anything that is likely to occur.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom