Considering a move from Jacket to bp/wing .. need opinions please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are absolutely right Sang, and I am not planning on doing anything without proper training, I was simply justifiying why I am heading to Wings. obviously I cannot modify my current mares BC for tasks like these. The skills and experience I was talking about were about me doing my best in perfecting what I have already learned and trained to do.

The whole point is me wanting to go further and to do that I need a rig that will take me there. I would put some cash right now and get me a wing rig and dive another 50 to get used to the new equipment.

I'll contact caveadventurers , and I was also reading abit on dive-rite . since we have an agent for dive-rite its an advantage for parts and accessories should any repairs needed.

Don't forget a DSS------(I have a DR, love it btw)....

Any thoughts are highly appreciated.

"He wants the Precious. Always he is looking for it. And the Precious is wanting to go to him. So bright... so beautiful... ah, Precious."

myprecious1.jpg

The BeSea looks of an ergonomicaly intelligent design. A bit of Norseman weightlifter about it.

I'm really happy with my DSS (Deep Sea Supply) wing. Their stuff is very reasonably priced, and a complete setup can be had starting around 460$USD (I just checked their website). The customer service is great, and if you have any questions on weighting and what size wing you need, Tobin is the undisputed pro at quallifying and recommending the correct wing.

You'll want at minimum a single tank wing for rec and preparatory diving, and then when you get into doubles, you can pick up the appropriately sized wing at that time. It's my understanding that backplates are usually adaptable to either doubles or single tank diving. Some backplates require an STA (single tank adaptor) to stabilize the tank, but I believe DSS's don't.

I personally dive a freedom plate prototype, which is an exclusively single tank minimalist backplate. I will have to buy a complete other rig when I am ready to go doubles.

I looked at the Poseidon. I have several issues with it. One is that stainless steel inflators have been known to stick. Another is that the harness is cumbersome and doesn't permit a great deal of adjustment. I don't know what the collapsing system is for the wing, but most such systems are bungied that convert the smooth wing bladder into a series of small air chambers, making it less streamlined and harder to vent when close to empty. It is also a relatively expensive setup. It would not be my first choice.

guys thank you all for the inputs. It seems that they all share common features and only differnet in a few design points rather than performance. I could be wrong. But I also had to decide whether to order from abroad and hope for the best or use something that is readily available in my country.

For this reason I chose Dive-Rite. on top of the recommendations and some reading, we have an official agent for dive-rite which is very useful for parts and accessories. ordering takes at least 2 weeks until delivery and shipping charges are usually high.
The rig will be Transplate harness + Stainless-steel backplate + the new back-pad + Rec EXP wing and the necessities with the rig like crotch strap, tank adapter..etc

This is exciting as it will probably give me the new challenge of getting used to the new system and knowing my limits.

Don't forget the Edge/Hog gear, worth a look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom