Considering a move from Jacket to bp/wing .. need opinions please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alpha makes some interesting gear, but I've never seen it in the US.

Saspotato. Have you tried an ALPHA rig?

No I haven't, haven't had a friend with one to borrow like the others :wink: I've used their reels and borrowed an Alpha light before however. The reel was a big enclosed one and too heavy for my weak arms :p

Oh and good luck with making your new rig :)

Downsides? Well, there's money for one. It's also MUCH harder to get a backplate with a one piece strap properly adjusted. You really have to dive it again and again and make little adjustments each time until you get it right. Once you've got it right though, you just slip it on and go. There also aren't any pockets or integrated weight systems on a BPW. So plan on spending more money on those and doing the research to find what will match your style of diving.

It's not really that hard to adjust a BP... If you are trying to figure things out by yourself maybe. I find that it is not that hard with proper training/mentorship to properly adjust a backplate harness.

I'm glad Thanks is back so I can thank Saspotato for answering my question and wishing me luck and because she is tall.
My suit bloke makes their outer sacks.
Thalassamania. That must be the "only" stuff you "don't" have over there.
And maybe Buddy BCDs.
I'm trying to figure out how to fill my plac pac with lead without melting the plac.
Are there any Southern or Mountain types out there that whittle lead?

Downsides? Well, there's money for one. It's also MUCH harder to get a backplate with a one piece strap properly adjusted. You really have to dive it again and again and make little adjustments each time until you get it right. Once you've got it right though, you just slip it on and go. There also aren't any pockets or integrated weight systems on a BPW. So plan on spending more money on those and doing the research to find what will match your style of diving.

I didn't find that when I switched late last year. I had read somewhere (and my buddies confirmed) that I should be able to fit my fist under the shoulder strap. This took no time at all to set up pre-dive.

I have only made 1 adjustment since and it was underwater on my 3rd dive with the BP/W. One of the shoulder straps was a little loose, so I just loosened the waist strap and pulled a little more webbing through the backplate, did up the waist strap again and ... Boomshanker... was on my way. It really was a non-event. I find getting in and out of my one piece harness easier than my Zeagle Stiletto BC.

There are pockets and intergrated weight systems for BP/W if you want them too.
Zip Touch Weight System - Backplate Accessories - BC Accessories - Zeagle Dive Systems
Ripcord Weight System - Backplate Accessories - BC Accessories - Zeagle Dive Systems
Tech Utility Pocket - Pockets and Knives - BC Accessories - Zeagle Dive Systems

I'm sure there are others.

I'm glad Thanks is back so I can thank Saspotato for answering my question and wishing me luck and because she is tall.

But then you didn't??? All talk and no "Thanks". :D

My problem then was probably that I didn't have a clue as to how to adjust the thing. I tried it the way it came from the store and found the shoulders were too tight. Loosened it up a little. Dove again. Still too tight. Loosened it up some more. Still a little tight. loosened it up again and it fit pretty well on the fourth try. I also started with the crotch strap a little loose. For me it was a big trial and error process, but within about 5 dives I had it where I liked it.

My problem then was probably that I didn't have a clue as to how to adjust the thing. I tried it the way it came from the store and found the shoulders were too tight. Loosened it up a little. Dove again. Still too tight. Loosened it up some more. Still a little tight. loosened it up again and it fit pretty well on the fourth try. I also started with the crotch strap a little loose. For me it was a big trial and error process, but within about 5 dives I had it where I liked it.

I find that the BAUE "How to size a backplate" links help out also

FWIW
I would rather not use a BC at all but for safety sake I use one however for years I dove without one but now BC is a required piece of safety equipment and when I finally bought one I bought a back plate wing type and hated it because it put me face down in the water. then I bought a horse collar (adjustable Life vest type) and hated it because it put me face up on my back but I liked it better than the wing. Then I bought a US Divers jacket and liked it ok
but my favorite was a Dacor stabilizer type weight integrated vest it kept me vertical in the water however I could position my self horizontally face down or on my back if I wanted
I now have a Tommy D sports weight integrated BC which I like as well as the Dacor I had and it is probably the cheapest thing on the market.
I had the opportunity to test dive a Zeagle rapid diver system and loved it but I just don't have the cash to get one.
best thing to do is go to a LDS with a pool and see try one out and see what you like better.

FWIW
I would rather not use a BC at all but for safety sake I use one however for years I dove without one but now BC is a required piece of safety equipment and when I finally bought one I bought a back plate wing type and hated it because it put me face down in the water. then I bought a horse collar (adjustable Life vest type) and hated it because it put me face up on my back but I liked it better than the wing. Then I bought a US Divers jacket and liked it ok
but my favorite was a Dacor stabilizer type weight integrated vest it kept me vertical in the water however I could position my self horizontally face down or on my back if I wanted
I now have a Tommy D sports weight integrated BC which I like as well as the Dacor I had and it is probably the cheapest thing on the market.
I had the opportunity to test dive a Zeagle rapid diver system and loved it but I just don't have the cash to get one.
best thing to do is go to a LDS with a pool and see try one out and see what you like better.
How is it that you dove without a BC for years, then suddenly a BC became a necessary piece of safety equipment and you no longer could dive sans BC? What changed?

And if you were weighted properly diving without a BC (which you are forced to be otherwise it won't work unless you want to crawl around on the bottom) how would it be that a BP/W forces you face down on the surface?
Usually the reason people get the face down is because they are overweighted and require putting a bunch of air in the wing to stay floating, and as a result the wing wants to be the highest thing thus putting the diver face down.

For this reason I chose Dive-Rite. on top of the recommendations and some reading, we have an official agent for dive-rite which is very useful for parts and accessories. ordering takes at least 2 weeks until delivery and shipping charges are usually high.
The rig will be Transplate harness + Stainless-steel backplate + the new back-pad + Rec EXP wing and the necessities with the rig like crotch strap, tank adapter..etc

This is exciting as it will probably give me the new challenge of getting used to the new system and knowing my limits.

I have a few suggestions about your rig.
1. Don't get the transplate harness or the back pad. Get a standard 1 piece webbing harness, forget the back pad altogether. If you're dying to spend money, and shipping is a hassle/time consuming, get both harnesses, then when you toss the transplate harness because the simple webbing harness is more convenient and comfortable, you won't have to re-order anything.

2. Don't get the rec wing, unless you're intending to use it for small doubles. It's a terrible single tank wing, I don't care what anyone says. Get the travel EXP; it's the best single tank wing dive rite has made. This is an important suggestion!

3. You can get a single tank adapter, but it might not be necessary. In any event, get the smallest lightest one you can, unless you really need extra weight. Oxycheq makes a nice small two piece STA that looks good.

Great choice going with a BP/W, you'll love it.

Back
Top Bottom