Considering a move from Jacket to bp/wing .. need opinions please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW
I would rather not use a BC at all but for safety sake I use one however for years I dove without one but now BC is a required piece of safety equipment.
BC is a required safety equipment by whom?

Nobody is going to make you use a BC. There are several people that I know who still don't use BC.

I've been looking for the last 2 weeks at a bunch of gear, planning to buy my first kit. I've also decided on a bp/w style, also so I can have a kit that can grow with me as I gain experience and venture into 'tech' diving. After a lot of looking and comparing and a recent trip to the local dive shop, I decided on a Hollis HTS-II harness and a Hollis S-38 Wing. I decided on that model over the others because it already comes with a backpad w/ lumbar support (otherwise a $100 addon), 2 cam straps ($25 each) a removeable cumberbund, and it doesn't require a backplate or single tank adapter to use a single tank. Then when I'm ready to use doubles, I can then easily add on a backplate and a 2-tank wing/bladder. The padded shoulder straps were very comfortable (felt very much like wearing a backpack), and it has plenty of D-rings.

My question now lies on what to do for a weighting system. The integrated-style quick release weights are expensive, seem bulkier than other options, and they remove a lot of weight at once - thus losing chance for a controlled accent. I'm contemplating on getting a few individual quick release weight puches, that way I can more easily control how much weight I would drop in an emergency. I am only finding a few manufacturers of them, and they seem to be getting reviews that the weights easily release by accident. Can any of you reccomend any good weighting options??

A rubber weight belt with a latch-on buckle works great for me. LP has one. Does not slip, does not open on its own. Con: it's harder to add/remove weights.

If more weight is needed a weight harness (DUI) works great.

Weight pockets (XS-scuba) can be used on the upper cam bands to help with trim if you find yourself feet-heavy.

I After a lot of looking and comparing and a recent trip to the local dive shop, I decided on a Hollis HTS-II harness and a Hollis S-38 Wing. I decided on that model over the others because it already comes with a backpad w/ lumbar support (otherwise a $100 addon), 2 cam straps ($25 each) a removeable cumberbund, and it doesn't require a backplate or single tank adapter to use a single tank.

This set up sounds awful to me. One of the things that make a BP/W so enjoyable to dive with is the lack of padding, cumberbund, and other non-necessities that Hollis had apparently decided would "improve" it.

If you're trying to figure out how comfortable it will be by trying it on in street clothes on land, you'll be sorely mistaken once you get in the water. the weight loading is completely different underwater; the whole idea of lumbar support simply does not apply to diving. Of course, if how the thing feels on land, or on a boat before you get in the water, is more important to you, then this sounds like a good set up.

Before you buy anything, you should try a simple rigid backplate, no padding, one piece webbing harness, and small streamlined wing.

This set up sounds awful to me. One of the things that make a BP/W so enjoyable to dive with is the lack of padding, cumberbund, and other non-necessities that Hollis had apparently decided would "improve" it.

If you're trying to figure out how comfortable it will be by trying it on in street clothes on land, you'll be sorely mistaken once you get in the water. the weight loading is completely different underwater; the whole idea of lumbar support simply does not apply to diving. Of course, if how the thing feels on land, or on a boat before you get in the water, is more important to you, then this sounds like a good set up.

Before you buy anything, you should try a simple rigid backplate, no padding, one piece webbing harness, and small streamlined wing.

Absolutely, the best thing about a proper bp/w setup is a minimalistic or hog approach. The lumbar padding may be comfy above but once under it doesn't do squat except taking ages to dry n its an unnecessary piece of gear.

SangP

I completely agree.
It's funny how all these supposed "Hog" inspired companies start out with super basic minimal gear as the latest trend moves forward to eliminate all the trappings and unnecessary junk on a rig. Then somehow they trend right back to the mainstream with puffy padded this and quick release that. :confused:
I guess the machine got a little too big and needs to be fed. LDS's luuuuv padding, makes it so warm and fuzzy in the store.

If I ever move in that direction with my stuff you have full permission to shoot me.

Thanks for that input! This could end up saving me some nice cash! ... I was thinking I wouldn't want a cumberband - quite frankly because it's cumbersome and part of my decision for a bp/w is that your entire front side is free. I also imagined that the padding on the back wouldn't do much underwater, but figured it would be more comfortable while gearing up - or if I wanted to jump in without a suit on, it might be nice incase the metal gets hot. The sound of bare metal on the skin doesn't seem pleasant - is it fairly comfortable resting on your back (even if walking on shore and bouncing across rocks)? Do the corners or edges ever dig into your skin? Or would you ever think the metal could tear your suit?

Your last comments also bring up something running through my head... a small streamlined wing. I only need a single tank wing (for now... I can't wait to start doubles!!), I weigh 190 lbs of lean mass, and don't carry any other gear other than a knife, light, spool, and sausage. I want to be kept streamlined, how much lift on a wing would be sufficient? On my last trip, I had a 7mm suit in salt water with a steel tank and used 8 lbs of weight. Hollis offered 25 and 38 lb wings - and of the 2, i was thinking 38 just to be sure I would have enough for various types of dives, but fear it might be too big and floppy. I see that most people in some forums have the 25 lb, and were all very happy with it... what is your opinion on this?

I really appreciate the input!! This will be my first kit and I've only done about 50 dives, so I'm not that experienced or knowledgable with gear.

Back
Top Bottom