Considering a move from Jacket to bp/wing .. need opinions please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in noway trying to showoff using my diving gear nor trying to impress girls. I'm currently advancing in specialities and at somepoint would like to go technical . There's no harm in buying a bc that would be useful for such target and get used to it at an early stage

Smart logic. I say invest in a quality rig which has no limitations in it's use. It is difficult to argue against DeepSea Supply and Halcyon. Nothing worse than saving a few dollars then 1 year later realize it was a mistake...

Comparing my BPW to my Zeagle Ranger, I wear less weight with the BPW. Just the weight/harness setup on the Ranger was about 3-4 lbs. positive in itself. That's 3-4 lbs. of extra lead you're wearing, plus the weight of the BC. It's also more streamlined and the difference underwater was noticeable. There's just a lot less crap dangling off you with a BP/W and a single strap harness. Finally, I find that it stays put a lot better. That's what a large plate and a crotch strap do for you.

Downsides? Well, there's money for one. It's also MUCH harder to get a backplate with a one piece strap properly adjusted. You really have to dive it again and again and make little adjustments each time until you get it right. Once you've got it right though, you just slip it on and go. There also aren't any pockets or integrated weight systems on a BPW. So plan on spending more money on those and doing the research to find what will match your style of diving.

Beyond brands be thinking about donut and horseshoe configurations. There are proponents of each.

Reducing your weight requirement is often a goal. If you go with a harness system that is padded out your will diminish this advantage.

Take your time and nail this one! Keep reading until you have your head into the details.

Do note that not all plates are interchangeable between wing suppliers.

Since it's all configurable have you considered what you want for tank straps?

If you are diving fine in your jacket consider staying there until it's doubles time. The learning curve to transition is minimal. It will be a tad more for you as you have an unconventional inflator system.

Pete

personally (without having dived one or any BP&W's) , I like Deep Sea Supply and Tobins innovations and helpful customer support
... but having a Dive Rite dealer there where you are may be the trump card

Being where you are, I can certainly understand wanting to buy something you can see beforehand, and get support for locally.

You may find that you end up trading out the harness for a simple one, though. Many people do, and it would have been one place to save some money on the setup.

This may reach the OP too late but here goes. As a frame of reference, I use a DSS plate with either a DSS T-17 wing (tropical with an Al 80) or an Oxycheq 30# wing. And a regular hog harness with crotch strap. No STA required with the DSS or Oxy wings.

When I first bought the item, I was concerned the plate would be uncomfortable without the padding. I find mine very comfortable with no pad. I would tend to skip the pad, at least for now. (IMHO, It is better to start simple and buy something later to fix a real problem you know you have than it is to buy something now thinking it might be a problem if you don't).

The hog harness is simple and, at least for me comfortable. More than anything is is adjustable. And cheaper. IMHO, I would start with the hog harness. (IMHO, It is better to start simple and buy something later to fix a real problem you know you have than it is to buy something now thinking it might be a problem if you don't).

I also think the REC-EXP wing is a bit large for singles. It it will be more difficult to vent and less streamlined, when using a single. I am a huge fan of buying a wing designed for singles and, when the time comes, buying one for doubles rather than a wing dual use wing.

I am a big fan of DSS (great products and service), Oxycheq (their wings), Halcyon (all but the cost) and the Hog brands looks promising as well. I also really like plates/wings that allow you to use a single without a STA (the STA moves the tank further away from your back and, IMHO, that is sub-optimal). Still, I might go dive-rite if that was local brand and getting others shipped was cost prohibitive.

By going with a regular hog harness, no pad and the travel wing (assuming that meets your lift needs) you probably knock $100 off the price. Set that aside to help pay for the doubles wing when the time is right...

Last edited:
I'm in noway trying to showoff using my diving gear nor trying to impress girls. I'm currently advancing in specialities and at somepoint would like to go technical . There's no harm in buying a bc that would be useful for such target and get used to it at an early stage

I prefer Dive Rite and Halcyon rigs, but that's me.

As far as impressing girls, it isn't the reason for me to buy a BPW, but hey, if the chicks dig it? That's just fringe benefits.:eyebrow:

I'm in noway trying to showoff using my diving gear nor trying to impress girls.

Meh, who cares if you are though? Seems like a valid reason to me...

I've tried a bunch of BP/Ws. Off the top of my head, OMS (I own two of these as they were cheap and I get good support at my local shop), Halycon, DSS, Oxycheq, Dive Rite, Zeagle. I didn't notice huge differences between them and they all worked quite well. I didn't like the OMS comfort harness though when I tried that and I made my own one piece harness. I suggest, seeing as you cannot try them on before hand sticking to a one-piece harness as well as these seem to be much more adjustable than things like comfort harnesses.

Don't get a wing to do both singles and doubles. If you end up with doubles just get another wing to suit the doubles. Overlarge wings can be hard to vent and they are not very streamlined.

I don't think bungees are really necessary from my experience, though I don't think they are the death traps that others make them out to be. I don't see the point in redundant bladders either because I use a drysuit.

If I got another BP/W I would look hard at the DSS ones given you can attach extra weight to the plates, and also the customer service is very good.

Here's part of the deal.....

There is no wing that is really good for doubles and singles so for now you'd have a big wing wrapped around your single like a soft taco.

Thats the whole point of a BP/W - Swap out wing/single tank adapter to suite the diving you are doing. I have a 45lbs and 60lbs wing.

By the y - Halcyon, OMS, Dive Rite... there are plenty of BP/W's to choose from.

Dwayne.

Once ten years long ago, I was trying to impress the backplate people so I removed the pockets, badges and danglies, re sized and made a double ctotch strap for my Ranger. Still fits like a tailor made one. Didn't impress any backplate people.
At the same time bungee was all the rage and my suit bloke invented a neoprene wing bladder cover for automatic expansion and contraction, oceanlining and cavelining. Not much stream diving here.
I was impressed with him and I was impressed with myself. Not really off the shelf although the wings are now.
Currently building a bp/w from a plastic bc back pack and a wing. And some really nice soft thick webbing. This is not impressive because they were invented forty years ago.
Saspotato. Have you tried an ALPHA rig?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom