Portage Quarry closing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to admit, they COULD update their site to address some of these rumors. The problem is, without anything being on the 'official site' the rumors will continue IMO. Now I have no reason at all to doubt the statements about no trash being put in the quarry. That would be kind of obvious if that was happening :)

dburg30... Tell you what.. I live on the premises and I'm telling you that nothing is being put in the quarry. So here is my offer: Anyone can come down to the quarry and I will personally pay their way into the quarry and your first air fill. I will take them on a dive personally also to prove to them that nothing is being put in the quarry. Then after I prove to them that what I say is true they can not only double my money back to me but they can also publicly apologize on Scubaboard for making a stupid comments that they simply cannot back up with facts. I have been telling people for months that it is not happening. So why don't all those that think that the quarry is having garbage dumped into it just come on down and ask for me and I will extend that same offer to all of you and then when I show you wrong then you can double my money back. I'm up for it are they? If not then apologize for making comments about something you have no clue about. After that then just come to the quarry once in a while and check it out for yourself.

Last edited:
I make a number of dives in Portage Quarry each year. This rumor is completely unfounded and ridiculous.

Greg Barlow

I have never dived Portage yet, though I am going on the weekend of 8/13-8/15. Anybody wanna hold my hand and guide me around?:D

See you there Paladin. Portage is one of the nicer quarries in our area. Generally good viz, mostly around 50' in depth (deeper areas too), lots of sunken stuff, but what really makes it unique is the Legends of Diving weekend. We are really lucky to have someone like Jeff Rice who is willing and able to provide this kind of gathering for us vintage divers. When you arrive, you can dive with me, or really any of us wandering around in seal skins, sporting double hose regulators.

I have never dived Portage yet, though I am going on the weekend of 8/13-8/15. Anybody wanna hold my hand and guide me around?:D

You will have plenty of divers to take the plunge with, myself included.:wink:

I did some checking and found out that that back section where the steak roast is held was sold back in November, 2009 to ABP LTD who are Jim and Brett Palmer Excavating in Bowling Green, who's offices are not too far from the quarry. In ...fact, I think they bought the entire quarry from what I can tell from the Wood County Auditor website.

I can tell you that diving August 7, 2010 was good and it was business as usual at Portage. In fact, there is even more camping and I noticed many improvements to the quarry since I was there last year.

Fact:
1) There is NO dumping of anything into the quarry.
2) Showers are functional and people were using them
3) We had a great time diving around the jet for 50 minutes and the water was VERY warm. We headed down to 30' now and again to cool off. Yes, I'm serious.
4) The place was hopping and crazy busy last weekend.
5) we got two HP120's filled and the fill was perfect and settled at 3500 after a bit.

Here is a link to the auditor website for the main quarry parcel:
http://auditor.co.wood.oh.us/Data.aspx?ParcelID=I32-410-010000007000

Last edited:
Y'all have fun at Portage, I was coming but will not be able to make the trip due to certain reasons, :wink:, however, it is a fun place to dive as quarries go and not terrifically cold either. Be safe, enjoy.

N

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to make it myself. I had to put my Suburban in the shop to have the carburetor rebuilt and they can't guarantee it'll be ready by the weekend. Keep your fingers crossed for me, guys!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom