Portage Quarry closing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had not planned to come but got a wild hair at the last minute and an now packing the gear so I plan to be there. We will miss you N, take care of yourself.
Don't know for sure but my bet is Bryan will have a VDH and/or NAVED banner up somewhere so I plan to be hanging around there during the SI.

I am glad you are going to make it Herman. I am also very sorry that Nemrod will not be there.

I was going to start packing my Jeep Grand Cherokee on Sunday, but found out on Saturday the the water pump was bad. I have a great shop near my house that was able to snick it in, into there schedule, and replace it on Monday. I feel very lucky... there is no way I would even attempt such a repair now-a-days. I can see the pump, but there must be a secret decoder ring explaining how to reach it.

See you all at Portage.

I wish the problem with my Suburban was only a bad water pump. I could have it swapped out in a couple of hours. But, no, it had to be the carburetor and I've never been good with carburetors. On top of that, most mechanics these days don't even know what a carburetor is, much less how to work on them. I found a guy who can rebuild it, but he's swamped with work and isn't sure he'll have it done by Thursday evening. I may have to drive my son's Celebrity and just make it a day trip to Portage. That'll be rough. Five hours to Portage, dive all day, five hours back home. Ugh!

A Q-jet? Shees, I can remove, rebuild and replace one of those things in less than an hour...done it many times.

A Q-jet? Shees, I can remove, rebuild and replace one of those things in less than an hour...done it many times.

But Herman, people who can actually do things are obsolete. Thats you and me and a whole bunch of VDH'ers. It's no longer fix the problem, it replace things and charge the customer until either the customer gives up or said gadget actually works. One of my dive buddies is an old school wrench and he is constantly frustrated by either being yelled at for not getting it done fast enough or fixing something too fast. It's a bizarre world we live in now. See you at Portage!

Ya know Jim I think you are right. When I was a kid almost every male teenager I knew could rebuild a carb or do his own brakes, now I see so many adults that can barely change a light bulb without calling an electrician.....
Henry and I will be there late Fri afternoon and camping. Leaving Monday morning.

I'll be there Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon. I'll be camping at the Best Western this year.:wink:

But Herman, people who can actually do things are obsolete.

When I retire, that is what I want to do is to teach, at a tech school or trade school, young people how to do things with their minds and their HANDS.

Y'all have fun at Portage, I know I already said it but anyways, have a blast.

N

When I retire, that is what I want to do is to teach, at a tech school or trade school, young people how to do things with their minds and their HANDS.

Y'all have fun at Portage, I know I already said it but anyways, have a blast.

N

That's awesome James! This country is in sore need of that. We'll be thinking about you at Portage. We'll even have a toast for you and that's a promise!

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom