The Sony HDR-CX550V: To Buy or Not to Buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I copied it verbatim from sonystyle.com. Notice that only the top 3 are back illuminated.

Oops, my bad... the others that had the smaller CMOS chips were not in the 500 series

It was the 300 series that had the 1/2.5" CMOS sensors

I copied it verbatim from sonystyle.com. Notice that only the top 3 are back illuminated.

I'm reasonably sure that all on that page are "back illuminated". They don't always use that terminology when describing them though. I know I have the CX500 as a back-up to my CX520 and the only difference is the amount of built in memory. I actually called Sony beofre I bought it and they confirmed that was the only difference. In the article below you can see where they described both as having the "back illuminated" sensor.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/conten...corders-----HDR-CX500-and-HDR-CX520-36708.htm

Since these camcorders allow the AVCHD files to be copied to external USB hard drives, I'm wondering how much the extra internal memory is worth. Backup drives of fairly high capacity are cheap.

Since these camcorders allow the AVCHD files to be copied to external USB hard drives, I'm wondering how much the extra internal memory is worth. Backup drives of fairly high capacity are cheap.

Carl (TravelersinParadise) gave me this great link:

Sony HDR-CX550V 64GB HD Handycam Camcorder w/ WD 350GB External

I studied the external drive that came with this sweet deal: perfectly compatible with the Sony & requires no PC to download. I paid just a bit for shipping, but avoided paying sales tax. 'Being delivered on Monday.

Hey Dr Bill. PM me your phone number and we can talk about the CX 550. I will likely be getting one very soon as well, so we can take it for a test drive in your housing one day at the point!

Will do, Mike. I've got to make the decision real soon in order to get it before I begin my "deep dry dives" in the submersible.

Hola
DId you get the camera at the end?
I´m looking forward to get it for work on a dive shop as uw video guy
any info will be apreciate
gracias

FishEyeAdventures, I bought the camcorder in October. However it did not work in my old LANC-control housing as I was told by several aftermarket product sellers (but NOT by Sony). I traded one of my old housings in and will receive the new one for the CX550V tomorrow afternoon. Plan to test it this week.

So far I generally like the features and performance of the camcorder. The quality of the video is quite good, the AVCHD files are very easy to download to my computer via the USB cable, and I have no trouble editing them in Sony Movie Studio Platinum (on a 3.2 GHz quad core).

The ultimate test will be the video it produces underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom