Jacket BC or Wing BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW, I'll bet that there are at least 50 other folks who are lurking that have the same questions as I do. I am sure that now they will continue to lurk after seeing your unfriendly attitude.
Based on the number of bp/w vs vest discussions I have read in which you participate, you'll have to pardon me for believing you were arguing for the sake of arguing. I've seen it plenty of times (from both sides of the argument)

Whether you feel like my comments are worthy of some sort of guilt trip or not, I will continue to call them as I see them. When I am wrong, I will gladly offer my apologies.

So, if I misunderstood you, or your comments and responded unreasonably harshly, I apologize.

There was one thread where a "debate" was started and I participated. That thread was started from the beginning as a flame war.

In all threads where there was a genuine request for information as in this thread, I either watched or asked questions because I really wanted to know more about the subject matter.

At any rate, no apology is necessary and neither is a guilt trip. It is a small misunderstanding.

Safe Diving!!

Just for the record; where does my horsecollar BC fit into this discussion (aside from being the only design that will dependably float an unconscious diver face up on the surface)?

I own all three designs and find the streamlining argument not that relevant. Nor is the trim argument valid. All other factors being equal, one can trim out just as well in any BC. The stability of the plate does make a difference for me though, as does the overall simplified design and modular adaptability. I like being able to swap out singles and doubles and being able to replace or repair parts easily.

I just note that the people who endorse BP&W tend to have considerable experience diving in both jacket and BP&W BCDs. Wheras the people who dispute BP&W claims tend to be people who have never owned one and have only dove in jacket BCDs.

Make whatever common-sense interpretation of that scenario you like....

Just for the record; where does my horsecollar BC fit into this discussion (aside from being the only design that will dependably float an unconscious diver face up on the surface)?

How are you even still alive if you've been diving one of those things?

How are you even still alive if you've been diving one of those things?

Just darn lucky I guess?? (and you look pretty hot in that photo, if I may say so).

I just note that the people who endorse BP&W tend to have considerable experience diving in both jacket and BP&W BCDs. Wheras the people who dispute BP&W claims tend to be people who have never owned one and have only dove in jacket BCDs.

I don't know if that's a very good comparison. I've dived all three and while I prefer my wing over the jacket for the reasons given above I can't knock the jacket because of it. There are divers in my region who have done many more numerous, and complex dives than me with them.

I think what we see on SB are a number of tech divers who migrate down to the rec board to make comparisons which skews the overall perception. Not all, but some, of their opinions come from self imposed constraints like "standardization" and "beginning with the end in mind". Two concepts that don't always apply in the purely rec realm. Their input is valid but one also has to take into account the reference point when considering gear preferences.

DevonDiver; go ahead and continue to use a derogatory descriptive term that seems like the N word vs negro to me, but please list your considerable experience diving in Vest BC's?

(all my jackets have sleeves) :idk:

I don't think I've ever seen 'standardization' quoted as a factor within a recreational BP&W debate on this forum..?

I said tech divers have (valid) opinions that are (in part) based on concepts like standardization.

I have carefully used those qualifiers to note that while I think they may come from a different reference point than purely recreational divers I still respect their opinions even if some of them don't respect recreational dives.

Back
Top Bottom