Is Cozumel safe from drug cartels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live here on the island and I feel safe here. I have been here for three years and have never felt uneasy walking around at night. If you are looking for drugs or trouble then you may have some problems with the police. Come down and have a great time

To 2D's --
Hey girlfriend!! It's about time you showed up on this forum.
I will be seeing you in about a week. Just in time for Carnaval!!

In answer to the safety thing. I also have a home there. i have been traveling to Coz for 17 years. I have spent months at a time there and a in the process of moving there permanently. I feel so very safe. It has never bothered me or concerned me to walk by myself there, even at night. Of course, you need to be smart and pay attention. The worse that can happen is you might be tipsy and someone might sell you a balloon hat or a "Cuban" cigar.
NOW that's T-R-O-U-B-L-E!!

P.S. To my Coz friends and fellow Coz divers, if you do happen to see me in a balloon hat, please get me off the street, as I will have obviously have had one too many margaritas!!
:drunks:

While it is an important question to ask for people, my response is always: Do you feel safe in your bathtub? More people die in their tub, than were murdered in Cozumel. That usually ends the "you are crazy for going to Mexico" conversation.
Happy diving and enjoy the trip!

Which is why I take showers! :D

So is it your position NETDOC that it is somehow amusing to you and others that people are murdered in Cozumel? I really don't think those people's families would find it funny at all, as a matter of fact it is rather despicable.

There have been some incidents, but it has been mexicans killing other mexicans that are involved in the drug trade. Last tourist that got murdered in Cancun was killed by her husband.
Oh I see so it's ok if Mexicans kill Mexicans and they are in the drug trade.....so...tourists should not be worried......yea right.......
Oh and BTW you better check the second comment because you have obviously not kept up on the news.......you are dead wrong in thinking tourists do not get killed in Cancun by other than their spouses...........or the Yucatan Peninsula for that matter.....

Robby, your wife, like many people, are misconstruing the overhyped media reports. Of course her concerns are valid, from the horrible things that are happening in other parts of Mexico, which is what is being shown in the media (sure does great things for their ratings). Unfortunately several factors have created the impression that MEXICO, is 1 destination, when of course it isn't. Your wife isn't the only one worried, and fortunately people like yourself are seeking answers online, I would suggest that you show your wife the following discussion (as well as this one of course) and I'm sure she will see for herself that Cozumel, is not Juarez or Acapulco:

Everyone telling me not to go to Cozumel - on Trip Advisor

By the way, according to some recently published results, only Iceland, is safer than Cozumel:

Tourist Zones Up To 26 Times Safer In Mexico Than U.S.A.

There are exceptions sure, 4 drug people murdered one night on Coz a few years ago, 1 more recently it think and the employee of the cruise boat very recently, some isolated eruptions away from tourist areas around Cancun, etc. but they are so rare. Walking alone after midnight in some places on Coz may be dumb, but it's easy to stick to reasonably safe guidelines.

So only 5 people in the last few years on Coz? Once again you are speaking here of facts that are TOTALLY incorrect. WHY? Some isolated eruptions away from Cancun and they are so rare? Really? Not sure what news you read but you are wrong once again.

I've heard nice things about Iceland, including some diving on continental rifts I think. Not very convenient to Texas tho.

What I find interesting is the Mexican Government's use of dogs and armed guards at the Cozumel airport to sniff for drugs coming in from the US. Is that completely nuts or what?

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Dillehay

I'm in Coz right now. When we arrived last week, I was actually impressed with how little security there is at the airport compared to Cancun. My 8 year old son spent 10 minutes talking the ear off a soldier with a drug dog at the luggage carousel. He apparently grew up in Montreal and moved back here. There is a lot of violence in Montreal and so I can see why he would relocate to Cozumel.

This is my first time back here in 10 years and while the place has certainly changed, it feels no less safe. Lots of people walking the main streets in the early evening.

And the diving is great.

What I find interesting is the Mexican Government's use of dogs and armed guards at the Cozumel airport to sniff for drugs coming in from the US. Is that completely nuts or what?

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Dillehay
:lol:​
Avoiding competition? :confused:

I figured the dogs were trained to sniff out ammunition and firearms? The can be trained for whatever - termites, bed bugs now.

Or maybe the dogs are trained for drugs, there to check outbound bags, and the soldiers feel a need to look busy even after those bags go out?

Back
Top Bottom