Cozumel Airport Security WARNING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We fly into Mexico in a few weeks, so I hope it's not as bad then as it seems to have become. We're going in through Cancun this time to make the trip to Holbox for the whalesharks. My husband and I are coming in with a friend and his wife in a private plane, so not sure if that will be better or worse than doing Customs from a commercial flight.

We fly into Mexico in a few weeks, so I hope it's not as bad then as it seems to have become. We're going in through Cancun this time to make the trip to Holbox for the whalesharks. My husband and I are coming in with a friend and his wife in a private plane, so not sure if that will be better or worse than doing Customs from a commercial flight.
Haha I could only guess. Don't let anyone forget to leave firearms at home. Why not fly to Holbox?

Getting to Holbox as a hoot for us, getting lost on the wrong hiway, doubling back. DO NOT take the toll road as you cannot exit there. Do you have good maps and all? You can zoom in on this one: http://www.locogringo.com/lgunet/images/maps/roads/masterQR.png

Got any questions about Holbox? I'd suggest private parking and hiring a private boat to get across to it, not the public lot and ferry. Fill up the car before you park as the station at Chiquita has limited hours. Holbox village is delightful. Take your own snorkel gear.

Haha I could only guess. Don't let anyone forget to leave firearms at home. Why not fly to Holbox?

Getting to Holbox as a hoot for us, getting lost on the wrong hiway, doubling back. DO NOT take the toll road as you cannot exit there. Do you have good maps and all? You can zoom in on this one: http://www.locogringo.com/lgunet/images/maps/roads/masterQR.png

Got any questions about Holbox? I'd suggest private parking and hiring a private boat to get across to it, not the public lot and ferry. Fill up the car before you park as the station at Chiquita has limited hours. Holbox village is delightful. Take your own snorkel gear.

Thanks! I think the strip at Holbox is gravel and not paved. It's my friend's plane and he's our pilot so he's checking into Cancun vs. Holbox, but I believe he decided on landing in Cancun. I may PM you for more info, sounds like you know all about it! Definitely taking my own snorkel gear, may not be room to bring our dive gear this time though.

Thanks! I think the strip at Holbox is gravel and not paved. It's my friend's plane and he's our pilot so he's checking into Cancun vs. Holbox, but I believe he decided on landing in Cancun. I may PM you for more info, sounds like you know all about it! Definitely taking my own snorkel gear, may not be room to bring our dive gear this time though.
Yeah, I think it is gravel, and I do not know if they have fuel? Cancun would be safer as an airport I am sure.

You have to go to Cancun city to get there.* Three maps/guides I would get ASAP at cancunmap.com-Your information source

Cancun city, the hard part*

Cancun airport

And Mayan Adventure​

*Looking at the Adventure map, you might be able to skip the city? I lost my copy. Need to get another.

And do fill up and get a couple of gallons of emergency water before you leave town.

I don't know all about it, but I've done it, the hard way at first getting on the toll road to Vallodoldid. Loved the village. We got there so late at night I worried about eating as we hadn't really that day, but everything on the square was open!

Most Ops will make you wear a life vest which slows you down in the water, unless you wear a neoprene suit or like us snorkel vests. We did two days of swimming with the Dominoes. It'd be nice to have longer to do some other tours there.

We went to Holbox in August 2007. Our entire trip from the Cancun airport, shark trips, and back were arranged by Rene', who was then (maybe now also) owner of the Hotel Faro Viejo on Holbox. We also stayed there two nights. He was great--his driver met us at the airport in a van and drove us to the ferry taking us the last 6 miles to Holbox. We almost missed the last ferry, but the driver contacted Rene' who asked them to wait for us.

Stayed 2 nights and had two days swimming with the sharks and mantas.

Based on what I saw, it is a lot better to make these type of arrangements than to attempt to drive. It is about 3 hours from the Cancun airport to the ferry and I saw NO signs saying "Holbox Thataway."

Okay I have read this entire thread and I'm still confused. I'm in Cozumel now - my first time - and I have a bunch of batteries that I do NOT want confiscated when I go home on Sunday. I have several proprietary batteries for my camera, I have rechargeable AA's for my strobes, and most importantly (meaning: most expensive) I have the NiMH battery that powers my Dive Rite LED canister light, which I JUST bought a couple weeks ago and would NOT be pleased to lose.

If I read this correctly - am I to assume that if my NiMH battery is installed in the canister light, it'll be okay? I was planning on carrying that on, because I don't want to lose it to a sticky-fingered "security" person rifling through my luggage. But what about my proprietary camera batteries, and the rechargeable AA's? Am I in jeopardy of losing them? That would also suck, considering the cost of replacement. I've never even HEARD of problems transporting batteries, so this has caught me by surprise.

I'm definitely not in the mood for losing any of my batteries...I've already had a tragic loss (my own fault): I lost my entire camera rig - Canon G9 camera, housing, two Sea & Sea YS-01 strobes, strobe arms, the whole damn thing. Long story, don't feel like recounting it now as I still feel sick over it - but it was a damn expensive and painful loss. I do plan on replacing them, and would prefer not to lose any MORE money by having my batteries confiscated.

I would really appreciate some advice on how to get my batteries home.

I've done all of the steps in this since 2008:
TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices

IMO At this point keep the batteries in the original devise if possible. Any batteries that are loose, cover the contacts with tape. Any tape, that is, something to prevent contact. If possible carry-on the batteries in a container that will avoid and/or prevent connecting the terminals.
Anything that you check is out of your view and do not know whom might be handling the items. Carry-on what you can.
Sorry to hear of your recent bad camera mojo. May the force be with you.

Lee, I am very sorry to hear of your misfortune, and I'd hate to see your first Coz trip further marred? I'd pack the AAs according to TSA standards and hide them in checked luggage, but wow your pricier batteries - I can't advise. Good luck.

Maybe you could ship them back home?

Back
Top Bottom