Ok, just switched to Verizon's Mexico cell plan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
This one on Individual: Plans - Verizon Wireless Anyone used it...? :confused:

I had used something similar with Alltel back in that day, but had been leery of the Verizon Mexico plan as it did seem that it covered calls to Mexico, but not calls from Mexico - and Christi had shared her horror stories from using them. It looks like it's been changed tho. Not shown on the site is the extra Free Mobile to Mobile while in the US plus 1,000 free Nights & Weekend minutes here or there, but I got that confirmed by 3 different agents so I am counting on that.

I did block Texting (SMS) and Data so I cannot send or receive. They offer an unlimited Text plan, but it seems you still get charged for using it in Mexico - 50c/each outgoing, 5c/each incoming. :shocked2: Blah, email me or call me.

I will still have my laptop and Skype, but since I am traveling alone and the friends who were meeting me there had to cancel - I decided this would be a nice extra to have in case of emergency. It came in very handy once before there! I changed effective today with prorated charges and minutes and expect to change back in 10 days prorating again - so that only gives me about 140 Peak minutes and 300 N&WE if I stick with that plan, but I don't use my cell much really. It's just nice to have when I do want to use it. And if for some reason my Roaming minutes counter goes up more than anticipated, I can even backdate a change to a larger plan effective today, then leave it on that plan until the end of my billing cycle September 6.

Got my passport packed, copies of my passport, DAN card, trip insurance, etc, a spare PP-pic. Now to start packing and withdraw cash. :pilot: Flight goes at 6:30am Saturday, got to be there at 4:30, so I guess I'll leave here at 3. :depressed:

Don, you may be able to do this just for the month you are in Mex. Then change back to you regular plan the next month.

Don, you may be able to do this just for the month you are in Mex. Then change back to you regular plan the next month.
No, as I said: "I changed effective today with prorated charges and minutes and expect to change back in 10 days prorating again..." No more than I use it, that will be plenty for me, but I will check my phone timer for Roaming minutes before I make that decision. I know that the minutes from down there may not show up on my online account for a few weeks.

All the times I have packed for dive trips, I still hate organizing all that, trying to not forget anything important - or go overweight. I take so much more than most but that's me. I hate wishing I had something I left behind.

A few pairs of shorts, a half dozen shirts, flip flops and diving gear. Done packing in 4 minutes (dive gear is always packed).

I can literally pack for a 9 day Cozumel trip in less time than it takes to find my passport. Don, if we're ever down there at the same time...I'll buy you a Wendy's marg...two polar opposites enjoying our likeness. :)

Yeah, I don't wear flip flops. :eyebrow:

Ok bags are packed at still close to 40# each. I do hope I can keep them under 50# each until I get to the airport. Spending Friday night at daughter's, then got to be at airport parking by 4:15am Saturday. Off to Cozumel! Not bad deal: Air, private room, food & drink for $100 night. I've done better but not bad here.

Friday morning: clean out trunk to make room for bags, mow grass, feed birds, water flowers, turn off AC & water heater, unplug things, set the alarm, withdraw cash. I always forget things as many times as I have done this.

Can you tell me how much they charge for the Mexico service?

Please report back after your trip and let us know how it worked. Also, let us know when you get your bill and if that turned out as expected.

I'm considering using this for our October trip.

Thanks!

Can you tell me how much they charge for the Mexico service?

Please report back after your trip and let us know how it worked. Also, let us know when you get your bill and if that turned out as expected.

I'm considering using this for our October trip.

Thanks!
Did you look at the linked site? They have various Individual and Family Shared plans, but the 450 minute/month for $55 is enough for me - unless something comes up and then I can backdate to a larger plan up until the end of my billing cycle. I normally share a Family plan but I keep my phone as one of the $10/month units so I can change to this without affecting them.

Verizon does offer Text/SMS & Data plans, but you pay tthose fees still add up quickly using such in Mexico. Since the man who owns Mexico's phone monopoly is one of the richest in the world, you still have to pay as much as he hopes you will. :D

I don't know if my calls will show up on my September 7 bill or not, it may still take longer for the info transfer, but I will report back as I can.

Don,
We use the plus Mexico plan Verizon offers every year and have had great luck with it. We have the family shared plan and did the same thing you did as far as blocking text messages while we are in Cozumel. Our phones worked great there with the exception of the East side. Our phone bill was anywhere from $10 to $15 higher than normal. Well worth the convenience and piece of mind for the two weeks we were there. Make sure you update your phones roaming capabilities before you leave the states. :)

Don,
We use the plus Mexico plan Verizon offers every year and have had great luck with it. We have the family shared plan and did the same thing you did as far as blocking text messages while we are in Cozumel. Our phones worked great there with the exception of the East side. Our phone bill was anywhere from $10 to $15 higher than normal. Well worth the convenience and piece of mind for the two weeks we were there. Make sure you update your phones roaming capabilities before you leave the states. :)
Well, hello there. Got you to finally post huh? :eyebrow: Glad you did.

How much higher one's phone bill will be will depend on a number of variable factors I think, i.e. prorated switch or full month, size of plan selected, Single or Shared plan, and of course how much ones uses it. For my 10 day change from $10 to $55, I expect about a $17 increase with taxes and fees. Hope that's all. Glad to hear that you did not suffer any surprises!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom