Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The club here *really* stresses the Deco at N1. Yes, it is officially done at N2 as this is where deco really starts, but for the N1 dives they have to show properly performed deco stops, and properly calculate their deco. In actual club diving many N1 go into deco (supervised) on dives upto 40m.

Deco is a normal part of French diving, as I see it, from N1.

Jon T

As always, what we are supposed to do, and what actually happens are quite different.........

Edited to add: part of the reason for this is that with computers it is far too easy for people to get into accidental deco, and the club stress deco in N1 so that there is an understanding of what is happening, and how to deal with it.
OK
but this club doesn't follow the recommended progress

N1 : how to avoid deco
N2 and more : how to manage deco

it's also true the new reglementation allows N1 to go supervised to 40m, but the deco procedures are not part of the training

OK
N1 : how to avoid deco
N2 and more : how to manage deco

Thanks for that. I didn't know that the club is doing things a little differently. I will ask on Thursday night when we have our training night. I wonder if they do this in response to the new rules that allow N1 to 40m supervised?

I've only been with the club a few months, but have done a good few dives with them during this time, and it is what I observed. The majority of the divers on the Nitrox Confirmée are N3 or N4, and having done many years of deco diving already does seem to give them a big advantage.

Jon

For what it is worth I chose my instructor mentor a full year prior to training. I met with him, discussed and purchased/changed gear configurations, disscussed his method for valve drill, and racked up about 100 dives prior to showing up for class. It made a huge difference. You do not want to fight your gear and new skills in the limited amount of time that you have access/exposure to your instructor on a one on one or two basis.
Eric

I did something very similar to waterpirate. In my case, I met my instructor pretty much a year in advance not necessarily knowing at the time that I would take my AN/DP class with him. He was referred by a working acquaintance and I was shopping for a new vest that could accommodate both singles and doubles. Through discussion centered on my aspiration in diving he recommended a BP/Wg and later on I purchased a dry suit followed by a set of doubles and regs. I did many recreational dives just using that set-up with either single or doubles with another instructor who could not teach tech diving but was well into it. He helped me with my trim as well as streamlining my set-up. It s only a year later that I started looking for an AN/DP instructor and finally contacted the first individual to see he if was available and willing to teach me.

I took a similar approach, I talked to my instructor about a year in advance. I wanted to know early on what the requirements were, along with what performance level I should be bringing to the table.
I did ask what the required equipment list was, but not much about any specific brands.

I'll list the required equipment and a few points on what I have.

Double 80's or a single larger capacity tank with an H-valve. I dove a 3mm wetsuit because I was in a tropical place. I went with double aluminum 80's.
Backplate with a doubles wing. I have a wing that's about 40 lbs. of lift.
Deco tanks. My instructor had plenty, but I bought my own 40cu. ft. tank. My class was taught with 2 deco tanks, I used my instructors for the second tank.
Regulators for back gas and deco tanks. I had already purchased my own prior to the class.
Primary light, and 2 back up lights. I have a 12watt LED, and 2 photon torpedo twist head/delrin body lights. My wife as 2 Intova lights
Have a spare mask, wet notes, 2 spools, 2 SMB's, 2 depth and timing devices. Just off the top of my head that's it.

Get a equipment requirement list from your instructor and he can go over it with you. He might have some recommendations based on the location you'll be diving and training in.
Some of this stuff is related such as exposure protection, tanks, and lift capacity of your wing, along with what backplate material.
Your instructor will be your best source to help clear any muddied waters.

have fun.

-Mitch

I started with my single tank setup... BP/W. The instructor allowed me to rent a set of double tanks with manifold, and a redundant doubles wing. 1 or 2 side slung tanks were also required during training, again rental.

In the end I purchased a reel and SMB. These are usable no matter what type of diving I perform.

I'd recommend not buying additional gear unless you know where you're going. Some people move on to rebreathers after this course. The cost of mixed gases gets prohibitive on doubles. While the short term investment in a rebreather is large, the gas cost is small over time and offsets operating costs if you want to go tri-mix, or high oxygen.

AN/DP is not the place to be learning a new rig. Buoyancy and trim while task loaded needs to be well above average.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom