New mask will NOT stop fogging!! I've tried everything

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soft scrub and comet work great

Bit of a rant. I too am looking for a long term mask that a $200.00 prescription will be added too. Have used several including expensive Atomic. All have fogged after cleaning numerous times with toothpaste and antifog. The funny thing I wouldn't buy a BC or a Regulator that would take 8 or 10 times to break them in to use properly. Mask makers should be able to come up with a system to have them ready to dive. I work on a boat with alot of new students and gear. I'm constantly trying to help them with their masks. I know eventually I'll find a comfortable new mask that I will put more money into (bifocals), but it is a little frustrating. I can say for sure that on some masks you can clean them up to 6 or 7 times with toothpaste and they still fog. Will try some of the other ideas. Has anybody tried Magic Eraser?

Bit of a rant. I too am looking for a long term mask that a $200.00 prescription will be added too. Have used several including expensive Atomic. All have fogged after cleaning numerous times with toothpaste and antifog. The funny thing I wouldn't buy a BC or a Regulator that would take 8 or 10 times to break them in to use properly. Mask makers should be able to come up with a system to have them ready to dive. I work on a boat with alot of new students and gear. I'm constantly trying to help them with their masks. I know eventually I'll find a comfortable new mask that I will put more money into (bifocals), but it is a little frustrating. I can say for sure that on some masks you can clean them up to 6 or 7 times with toothpaste and they still fog. Will try some of the other ideas. Has anybody tried Magic Eraser?

I own two scubapro spectra masks. One I had no problem defogging(clear) and the other was a black mask. The black mask took me multiple times to defog, i never tried magic eraser sounds interesting

That's pretty odd. What do they put on Atomic and AquaLung masks that's so hard to remove?

As to using a lighter, if....IF I was going to try that I would disassemble the mask first so I wouldn't risk burning the silicon. And while it's taken apart, maybe boil the lenses in water for a few minutes.

Before applying a lighter to a bi-focal mask, I recommend trying the less dangerous method of using my favorite defog solution --- 50/50 mix of 91% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and Johnson and Johnson Baby Shampoo.

If your problem is an oil or grease film left over from the manufacturing process, the alcohol will remove it.

I use the alcohol/baby shampoo mix to remove stray silicone grease that gets on my mask after I use it to get a better seal around my moustache.

Charlie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom