New mask will NOT stop fogging!! I've tried everything

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are probably spot on with most of your posts but you're wrong on this one. I have used this method for years and it works with absolutely no harm at all to the mask or lens.

It's not recommended by any manufacturer. Your opinion is noted, but you are the only one I've ever heard suggesting to use comet.

Use Sea Buff from McNett. Scrub with a piece of neoprene or cloth. Do it five times aggressively. Then use 500 PSI defog. Repeat until it works.

If that doesn't work, then have it replaced, hopefully under-warranty!

It's not recommended by any manufacturer. Your opinion is noted, but you are the only one I've ever heard suggesting to use comet.

My instructor told me to use it back in 1991 and he still tells folks to use it to this very day. And I would suspect that the many home remedies that folks have come up with over the years to prevent fogging were not all recommended by manufacturers as well.

Oh, I almost forgot to add.... Hold it over Head, Close your eyes and Repeat three times....there is a Tooth-Ferry, Santa Claus is coming and the Easter Bunny Does exist.

You MUST Believe it's going to work.

I have never burned a mask. Probably because I have $200 bi focal lenses in mine. But with rentals and student masks soft scrub with out bleach preferably of the cheap chi com toothpaste you get from the dollar store works very well. I usually scrub them 2-3 times and then personally none of the store bought defog works as well as my spit or in a pinch for those who are grossed out by me spitting in their mask 50/50 baby shampoo and water. With the baby shampoo you need to spritz a little in and let it dry or at least set a minute and then just a very quick rinse. ANother thing that will seriously help a fogging issue is before you put the mask on dip your face in the water to cool it and reduce the temperature difference between the water and your face. It's lots of fun when ice diving to do that!

When I bought my CRESSI Matrix, I cleaned the inside of the glasses with normal toothpaste (not gel). Then I always use my own made antifog.
The antifog I make is 1/2 Johnson&Johnson baby shampoo + 1/2 medicine alcohol. Apply the misture with a spray when the mask is dry. Spread the mixture with your fingers in the whole lens and rinse with sea water. No more fogging for the rest of the day.

Don't use Comet or Ajax, you will bleach the skirt of the mask.. You have not cleaned it enough, I usually have to go over it with the McNett SeaBuff about a dozen times. Honestly, I know it sounds like a lot... Flaming also works, but I am aways afraid of damage to the silicone. Just keep cleaning it every night for the next week or so, and get a good coat of anti-fog on it before you dive.

I have always used comet mixed with toothpaste, and never encountered any problems.

Understand the frustration. My new Atomics Clear View was having the same probs. Used soft scrub several times and that seemed to really help. Also used baby soap and water solution just before the dive. That seemed to also make a big difference. Spit just wasn't getting it.

Yeah, a new Atomic mask can be a real headache to properly prep. Does the mfg. ever clue the buyer in? Nope.
No experience with the Teknika, but, in general, if it's still fogging, it probably isn't clean enough yet. Just keep working at it. Think of it as a new pre-dive activity. When you finally get it, your problems should be over.

As a note, once you have cleaned it with the comet/ajax method I described, you won't have to do that again. That's to get it initially really clean. After that you can use most any of the products made to defog. I have always used 500 psi with great results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom