Belize Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMambassador

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been to Cozumel several times and once to Bonaire. I think it is time to try San Pedro. My girlfriend and I along with another couple are looking at the week of September 8, 2012 for our trip. Besides the great diving in Cozumel and Bonaire we like that those areas have great places to see and people to meet. Is San Pedro the place for this as well? We are all avid divers but we aren't compelled to make 6 dives a day either. We enjoy making a few dives in the morning and playing the rest of the day by ear. What I need advice & recommedations on is where can we find a nice, clean resort that is close enough to the heart of town that we can easily walk around. A dive operator with a great reputation for safety and customer service? Several restaurants close to the suggested hotel where good food can be had without having to sell my dive gear to eat? I appreciate any help you can provide. I have wanted to visit San Pedro for about 10 years, I want to see what Jerry Jeff has been singing about.

Thanks

San Pedro is a FUN place and the diving is quite good.

It sounds like it is time to give it a try.

I have been to Cozumel several times and once to Bonaire. I think it is time to try San Pedro. My girlfriend and I along with another couple are looking at the week of September 8, 2012 for our trip. Besides the great diving in Cozumel and Bonaire we like that those areas have great places to see and people to meet. Is San Pedro the place for this as well? We are all avid divers but we aren't compelled to make 6 dives a day either. We enjoy making a few dives in the morning and playing the rest of the day by ear. What I need advice & recommedations on is where can we find a nice, clean resort that is close enough to the heart of town that we can easily walk around. A dive operator with a great reputation for safety and customer service? Several restaurants close to the suggested hotel where good food can be had without having to sell my dive gear to eat? I appreciate any help you can provide. I have wanted to visit San Pedro for about 10 years, I want to see what Jerry Jeff has been singing about.

Thanks

The first time we went to San Pedro we stayed at Ramon's (Premier Dive Resort : Ramon's Village Resort : Ambergris Caye, Belize) & did our diving at their dive shop. Prices are high for room, food, & diving. The Palms condos (The Palms Oceanfront Suites - Come stay with us...) next to Ramon's are great & for the price of two rooms or less you can have a full, clean condo on the best part of the beach. We have stayed there 3 times since. As far as dive shops, we continue to use Hugh Parkey's Dive Connection (Hugh Parkey's Belize Dive Connection, San Pedro). It's run by a Brit couple doing first class diving. Good restaurants up and down the beach. Have fun!

We recently returned from Belize. We've been to Cozumel many times. We stayed at the Mayan Princess and dove with Amigos Del Mar, right in front of the resort.

Good clean resort and fairly inexpensive. Minimal cooking stuff, but we ate breakfast in our room before diving. Get the 2nd floor if you can. Each room looks out at the water and the dive op. Right in the middle of town and close to many inexpensive and great restaurants. Search this forum for advice on restaurants.

Amigos Del Mar had great dive masters and captains. Ask for Tony and Rene. The Blue Hole trip is expensive and a long day. I would skip it if don't want to say "I dove the Blue Hole."

There are several good but cheaper hotels, and generally they're cheaper once you leave the beach. Spindrift is another cheaper one right on the beach and in the centre, and unlike some of them is built of concrete so you don't spend the night listening to the couple in the next room! Ditto Blue Tang further north, which has lovely large rooms. My recommendations on town centre (but on the beach, of course) dive centres is Island Divers (very central), Hugh Parkey's Belize Dive Connection (as above, and just south of the centre), and Reef Adventures (at the northern end of the central part of town, very close to Blue Tang hotel). Amigos has a good name and many regard it as the IBM of San Pedro dive centres. It's especially well suited to inexperienced divers, but experienced ones sometimes feel they're "babied" a bit too much.

Beware that some of the most central hotels can be rather noisy. One of the cheapest of the lot, Ruby's, can suffer from this.

I should have added. The time you're looking to come is peak hurricane season for the western Caribbean. Not to say that there will be one - San Pedro hasn't been hit by a hurricane for 11 years, though we've had one or two scares since then. Generally at that time of the year the sea is very warm (which causes the hurricanes) and diving conditions are superb, but if the weather's bad (as it can be at any time of the year) there can be no diving for days or even weeks. All of San Pedro's diving is outside the roughly N-S barrier reef, and there's no lee side to escape to. Ensure you take out good trip insurance that covers you for any likely loss, and take it out well in advance. If you wait until storms are forecast it'll be too late and they won't cover you. Of course ensure you also have DAN dive insurance. San Pedro has the only chamber in Belize, and one look at the rates they charge (still less than the USA though) will show you how costly a single incident can be.

My wife and I've been to St. Croix, Cozumel, Kauai, Curacao, Playa, Cancun... and now San Pedro last October (2011). We're returning this coming April. It's the first place we've went back to. For the price, distance, and amenities for us (living in the Midwest US) it's perfect.

We're divers of course, but as the OP mentioned, we're not all about diving. We stayed at The Palms our first trip and dove next door with Romans. Loved them both. In April we're staying at Roman's. Actually, we found it to be cheaper than the Palms I think... or comparable and close, even considering a return discount to the Palms. But they're both great spots. Actually our ground floor at the Palms was the closest room to the ocean on that whole side of the island that we could see. We'll dive with Ramon's again but would also consider Chuck and Robbie's.

While traveling we're always looking for someplace that was nice and seemed to have a lot of things we like. Good diving, walking distance to shops, great local people, easy to get too. We found that on Ambergris. The diving is super easy as the reef is just 10 minutes away to many good spots and we could walk around town. I really liked the fact that the reef made the larger waves break out away's, meaning the short boat rides were pretty smooth even when it was windy. I don't do so well on rough seas and small boats. Plus, we literally got off the plane (twin prop) and walked down a block across the street to the Palms. Seriously, if you stay at the Palms or even Ramon's you don't need a cab (golf cart), it's literally a couple hundred yards at the most.

I liked the laid back pace of diving with Ramon's (Adolfo was great!). Now granted, that's all we dove with and from what I've seen, there's a lot of great operators there and everyone seems real nice. They would go out at 9, 11, and 2 pm. Show up if you want to dive, if not, no big deal. Plus the surface intervals are all done right there so we would even go back to our room and get a bite to eat. If we fell asleep and missed the next dive, no biggie. We lockered all our equipment at Roman's and so all we carried to dive each day was our room key and any snacks.

We went in October which was part of the slow season. A couple days it was just my wife and I diving. Other days it was a couple we'd gotten to know pretty well. Man... I'm getting so excited about going back again just writing this.

We purchased our flight straight to Belize city (Belize International) and then booked our own flight through Tropic Air this time. They run every hour I believe (or something like that) from Belize City over to the air strip at San Pedro. You're hotel can make the reso for you also (which is what we did the first time) but they charged an extra fee.

It's funny you mentioned you've been wanting to go to San Pedro for 10 years. The night I met my wife 5 years ago I asked her, "If there's any place in the world you'd want to go, where would that be?" Her response, "Belize, because I've always wanted to learn to SCUBA dive and I hear it's great there." I said, "Me too!!" But then we've been a bunch of other places before going to San Pedro and are glad we did now because we have a lot to compare it to.

Although we're going back in April (a few months) we're also going to CocoView Roatan in September, another place on our bucket list.

Great recommendations so far. Any restaurants that are a must while in San Pedro? I've read about the 3 hour boat ride to the blue hole for 8 minutes at max. depth, what are the average depths to expect at the reef? Any dive operators offer big steel tanks to maximize dive time or does everyone use AL80's? I really am appreciative of your comments.

How is the noise at Mayan Princess? The comments are for the most part very positive.

I used to offer steel and aluminum tanks larger than 80 cu.ft., but since I closed my business no-one does. It may well be that AquaScuba has some, but whether they rent them out is another matter. But if you find you need a tank larger than 80 cu.ft. for our recreational diving you should work on your buoyancy control.

Noise is quite subjective. It would bother me at any of the town center hotels, including Mayan Princess and Spindrift (and Ruby's, but that's also because their in-house and very popular cafe opens around 5am), but evidently it doesn't bother everyone.

There are many well-regarded restaurants in the town center area. Ones I go to include (S-N) Blue Water Grill (at Sunbreeze Hotel), Wild Mangos (a little north of BWG), Caliente (in Spindrift), Estele's (next to Caliente - early until 5pm only, very popular place for breakfast), Red Ginger (in Phoenix Hotel - excellent but far from cheap), Lily's (near Mayan Princess). All those are on the beach. Off it are George's (well south of town on Coconut Drive near Corona del Mar Hotel, but very well worth the walk), Mickey's (Middle Street south), Elvi's Kitchen (Middle Street middle), Reef (Middle Street middle, further north). Plus lots I can't currently think of. Eating places that are very good but aren't restaurants include DandE's ice cream parlour (almost opposite Reef Restaurant) and Mathieu's deli (right up at the top end of Middle Street near Phoenix - breakfast and lunch and bread/pastries to die for. To special order they will also do dinners). Of all of these I'm most often to be seen in Estele's, Mathieu's, DandE's, Reef Restaurant and Blue Water Grill.

Ramon's Resort has become quite controversial lately due to dubious advertising practices, and a number of agents will no longer deal with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom