First BP/W looking for advice on setups!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

770link770

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been browsing around the BC subforum for a while now going from knowing nothing about any brands or types of BC's other than the scubapro stab vests we used in my certification class. After trying out a BP/W setup recently I believe I'm set on getting something along those lines. After lots of researching stuff in my price range and debating on what I needed out of it (not planning on going into tech) I have come upon a couple setups.

Setup 1 and 2 are very similar.

Setup 1:
Dive Rite Basic Harness with 2" Crotch Strap
Dive Rite Aluminum Backplate
30 lb Oxycheq Mach V Wing
Dive Rite SS Cam Straps
BackPlate and Wing Package discounts on sale Dive Rite

Setup 2:
Oxycheq HOG Basic Harness with 2" Crotch Strap
Dive Rite Aluminum Backplate
30 lb Oxycheq Mach V Wing
Dive Rite SS Cam Straps
AL back plate w/ Oxycheq Hog Harness & Oxycheq Mach V wing [DROCpkg] - $375.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

Setup 3: Building a mixed setup
Dive Rite Basic Harness with 2" Crotch Strap
Dive Rite/HOG/or Used Aluminum or Stainless Steel Backplate
38 lb HOG Wing (I can get a good deal on this)
Then buy SS cam strap and whatever else separately

My questions are that by the looks of it... It seems like going with option 3 would be cheaper (wing = $110) especially if I buy the plate used. How does the HOG wing hold up compared to the Oxycheq wings which I have only read good things about. Also concerned that 38 lbs of lift might be overkill? I really only plan on diving singles (possibly doubles down the line) in and around Florida, mostly in the summer but sometimes in the off season. Usually dive with a 5 mm in the springs or if it's chilly out. Any recommendations on a nice setup ~$400 or cheaper would be greatly appreciated.

As for regulators I'm looking into the HOG series. I've heard great things about them and the price does not seem unreasonable for what you get. Can't seem to find out much about maintainability. I'm assuming that they need yearly maintenance rather than some other regulators that only suggest it every 2 years or so? Maybe somebody can fill me in on this.
Amazon.com: Hog Regulator Package: Sports & Outdoors

Also as they regulator package I'm looking at does not come with an SPG I was looking into a console/computer. I have my eye on the Uwatec Aladin Tec 2G 3 Gauge Dive Console. It appears as it would function well as an SPG but also allows for the removal and attachment of the Aladin Tec 2G computer to a wrist mount purchased through DSS.
Uwatec Aladin Tec 2G 3 Gauge Dive Computer Console

All in all would this be a good setup for diver looking to progress into more advanced diving, but nothing super technical for the moment? Any suggestions to any part of the setup would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks ahead of time you guys!

For Florida singles diving, the Oxy 30# Mach V is the way to go. The HOG wing is fine, but not in the same league as the Oxy.

I would recommend against Dive Rite basic harness. I prefer basic harness, but DR's version use a very soft webbing, way too soft, makes it very difficult to use in practice. I swapped out the webbing after 10 dives. The strange thing is DR's other harnesses use stiffer webbing tho. Not sure why they made such a choice. For crotch strap, DR's is are very stiff. Again, don't understand DR's reason behind their choice of webbing.

For Florida singles diving, the Oxy 30# Mach V is the way to go. The HOG wing is fine, but not in the same league as the Oxy.

What's the basis for the statement (yes, honest question)?

What is it about the Oxy that makes it better in your eyes?

For harnesses I have an Apeks & Halcyon. I like the stiffness of the Apeks but flexibility of the Halycon. Apeks also has very robust d-rings too. For back plates, I use stainless steel. I like the weight characteristics & still use it when I travel & wear a 3mm full suit in tropical environments. If diving aluminum tanks I'd say go for SS but others may feel different. Other than SS vs Alum BP, I'd say buy used cuz they are pretty much the same. For wings, I think a 30lb lift would be more than adequate for single tank. I really like my Halycon Eclipse 30lb wing with a weighted STA. No additional weight needed in 3mm full suit in tropical environment & I only add 10lbs on cam band in dry suit here in So Cal. Some of this is of course dependent on your body size & characteristics. HTH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are using a 5 mil suit, you can easily use a stainless plate, and it will help you balance better.

I'd buy a simple harness, and anywhere between 20 and 30 pounds of lift will be PLENTY. I just got done with a week of diving in Maui with a 5 mil suit and a 17 pound wing; I think I had somewhat marginal lift if we had planned any deep dives, but since our max depth was 25 feet, the 17 lb wing did fine. No point in buying a lot of lift you don't need, because it just makes the wing harder to vent.

It is my personal opinion, based on some significant issues with the company regarding lights, that Oxycheq's customer service is dubious at best, and I would not invest any significant amount of money into anything that came from them.

Have you looked at the DSS setups? You can buy an entire singles rig for about $450. The quality of the gear is excellent, and the customer service is five star.

Since everyone has already given you opinions on the choices you listed I'll take a different approach.

It seems you're focusing on deals and prices rather than what you truly need. With a Bp/W you can customize it to what you truly want or need in a dive system. So why not start by customizing it for what you'll mainly require.
Decide what you're going to be doing in your diving, what you'll be carrying.

Start with what Bp/W accessories you'll want. Do you want storage pockets, integrated weights, weighted STA or just keep the harness clean?
After that decide what harness you'll want; what style, how many D-rings?

Now look at the main parts: Bp & wing. What is your usual weighting(s) and how do you want to divide that up between Bp, integrated pockets, weightbelt/harness, and weighted STA.
Do you change weight often for travel, tanks, salt/fresh, or pool?
From there you can decide if you want to go SS or Al Backplate.

Now take your max possible weighting and decide what wing/lift capacity you'll need. Factor in tank(s), lead, camera etc. Don't factor in your buoyancy from exposure protection, assume you'll lose all that at depth.

Once you know what you want in your Bp/W then you can look at the manufacturers to determine which has the gear that will fit your needs. From there I would then recommend you to search for deals on the items you've chosen.

The service (rebuild) on HOG regs is every two years with an annual recommended inspection. The inspection I do involves a good cleaning, check and adjust cracking and IP if necessary, replacement of any worn o rings and replacement of the HPspool o rings. Again this a recommended inspection not required. I have had zero issues with mine in many different conditions including under the ice. I would also not call the reg a true clone. It does look similar but Chris has spent many days tweaking details to improve it's performance with the engineer before releasing it. The second stages have undergone changes in case geometry and the choice of materials on the innards to increase reliability and performance. They may look the same as some other brands but they are not.

The HOG wing I'd suggest would be the new 32lb singles wing. I have it and old style. The new one has a little narrower profile and a ten year warranty against pinch flats. It is also made in the US. The 38 is actually a small doubles wing designed for use with them. Al 80's , 72's, or something like twin 50's and I would not recommend it for singles due to the possible taco effect.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Option 2 in your BP/W set up is probably as good a deal as you're likely to find and the oxycheq mach V wings are very, very good. Absolutely consider a steel plate if you need the weight; for example if you're using AL80s primarily. It's worth the extra money.

Do not buy a DIN reg set unless you are primarily using DIN tanks. At this time, HOG regs come only in DIN, so look into it before buying anything. Don't rely on the DIN/yoke adapter; it moves the reg closer to your head and can be literally a pain in the neck. If you're using DIN tanks, fine, or if you wait until HOG comes out with a native yoke conversion, not an adapter, fine. They do seem to be high quality at a nice price. Otherwise look elsewhere for a reg; there are many great choices, used regs are typically an excellent deal if you have some help evaluating them, and forget about the 'free parts' crap that entices people to A) pay full retail cost for something that's widely available for far less, and B) forces the user to pay for completely unnecessary annual service. If you are diving enough to really need annual rebuilds, you're probably spending so much money that the price of rebuild kits is inconsequential.

Do not buy a DIN reg set unless you are primarily using DIN tanks.

I am with halocline here. Just like you don't buy a 50lb hybrid wing for single tank diving and hoping one day you will move to double and use the same wing.

I started with a DIN reg after many post here stating how DIN is better than YOKE. The true is for recreation dive, it makes little difference. If you are renting, you can always get YOKE tank, but it is not true for DIN. The DIN-to-YOKE adaptor will be on your reg most of the time, so why not just get YOKE. DIN-to-YOKE move the first stage closer to you head is fact. It may or may not be a problem for you. It bothered me enough that I replaced my DIN reg to YOKE.

As for plate, I agree that with 5mm wetsuit, a stainless steel plate will be better especially if you use aluminum tank. Also check out plates from different brand in person if you can. DiveRite, DSS make a flatter plate. Halcyon, OMS plates have a steep bend. You really have to see it and try in on to appreciate the difference. I started out and still using DR plate, but then I realized I prefer the steeper bend of Halcyon and OMS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom