mask strap under hood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCal John; if you have problems with the hood skirt breaking your mask seal, trim the hoods face opening. Put you hood on, pull your mask on, and have a frind see how much is overlapping. Repeat several times (with the hood both wet and dry) to get an average, then take a pair of scissors to the problem areas.

jky

Mask strap over hood. I don't like my hood to let water in, nor do I like my exhaust bubbles getting inside my hood.

Mask over hood. Suppose you need to remove it quickly to give rescue breaths? Or to see better (peripheral vision, no water drops, etc.) when you are walking back up a rocky/seaweedy beach? Or you have the urge to easily flip it up on your forehead to tick someone off?

I figure it's to prevent loss if your partner kicks your mask. Even if the strap breaks, the hood should hold it long enough so its not knocked off completly. That stated I never do it because I use a snorkel and I put my mask on my head when not using it, because that's what I've been doing since I was 10 years old, Mike Nelson showed me that. :)

Mask strap under the hood when I wear one, works for me, no snorkel attached.

Mask strap over the hood. (How could I attach my snorkel? - NOT :) ) - Sorry, I could resist stealing Searcaigh's "joke"
- I want good seal for hood and don't want "bubble head" or cold water seeping in (I wear hood to keep head warm).

I carry an extra mask. Cold salt water burns the eyes like crazy - not just the salt, but the cold. My buddy does not watch where he kicks (but otherwise is very considerate). Also, I carry it for others in our group - so they can continue the dive if mask gets lost/broken strap.

I switch back from and forth from over hood to under hood. Calm conditions more likely over. Surf, current, surge, more likely under. As to over or under, I really think it is a personal comfort thing. There is no "right way." BTW. I have never carried a second mask on an open water recreational dive, whether fresh water or salt.
DivemasterDennis

I wear strap inside hood if hood is 3mm or thicker, but outside hood if it is thinner. For the thinner hoods, I find they grip my head more loosely and tend to "inflate" slowly from exhaust bubbles unless the strap goes around the outside.

Mask over hood. Suppose you need to remove it quickly to give rescue breaths? Or to see better (peripheral vision, no water drops, etc.) when you are walking back up a rocky/seaweedy beach? Or you have the urge to easily flip it up on your forehead to tick someone off?

+1 Totally Agree

possibly, but I'm sure you could pull both off in one motion just as quickly to give rescue breaths, putting it back on would be more of a hassle though.

Back
Top Bottom